Cray System Available

Cray System Available

Post by Chris Patterso » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00



We have a a client interested in selling the following.
If intereste I can be reached at the address below.
Any possible purchase will be subject to all U.S.
restrictions.

CRAY J916
4 CPU Installed (200MFLOPS each)
64 MWords (512 MB RAM)  2 256MB Modules
36 GB Hard Drive (4 9GB Hard Drives)
FDDI and Ethernet Network Interfaces
4mm DAT Drive
This system is new generation CRAY Supercomputers, refrigerated by air.
(it doesn't requires complex installation procedures, or operation
conditions)
UNICOS Operating System

The Console is a SUN SPARC 5
17" Color Monitor
32MB RAM
2GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM
Keybd & Mouse

The system includes software:
UNICOS Operating System
FORTRAN 90 & 77
CRAY C, C++
AIT
CVT Cray Visualization Tools
CRAY T3D Emulator
NQS Queueing System
Complete set of Manuals

Thanks,


Minicomputer Exchange, Inc.     http://www.mce.com/    
610 North Pastoria Avenue       Sunnyvale, CA  94086            
Tel: 408-733-4400               Fax: 408-733-8009

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Greg Dougla » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00



> We have a a client interested in selling the following.
> CRAY J916
> 4 CPU Installed (200MFLOPS each)
> 64 MWords (512 MB RAM)  2 256MB Modules
> 36 GB Hard Drive (4 9GB Hard Drives)
> FDDI and Ethernet Network Interfaces
> 4mm DAT Drive
> UNICOS Operating System

> The Console is a SUN SPARC 5
> 17" Color Monitor
> 32MB RAM
> 2GB Hard Drive
> CD-ROM
> Keybd & Mouse

How much for just the Sparc 5?

Hehehehhh.   Just kidding.  :)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greg Douglas              :
Reputable Systems         :
http://www.reputable.com  :

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Mark Lasersoh » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00



> We have a a client interested in selling the following.
> If intereste I can be reached at the address below.
> Any possible purchase will be subject to all U.S.
> restrictions.

> CRAY J916
> 4 CPU Installed (200MFLOPS each)
> 64 MWords (512 MB RAM)  2 256MB Modules
> 36 GB Hard Drive (4 9GB Hard Drives)
> FDDI and Ethernet Network Interfaces
> 4mm DAT Drive
> This system is new generation CRAY Supercomputers, refrigerated by air.
> (it doesn't requires complex installation procedures, or operation
> conditions)
> UNICOS Operating System

> The Console is a SUN SPARC 5
> 17" Color Monitor
> 32MB RAM
> 2GB Hard Drive
> CD-ROM
> Keybd & Mouse

> The system includes software:
> UNICOS Operating System
> FORTRAN 90 & 77
> CRAY C, C++
> AIT
> CVT Cray Visualization Tools
> CRAY T3D Emulator
> NQS Queueing System
> Complete set of Manuals

> Thanks,


> Minicomputer Exchange, Inc.     http://www.mce.com/
> 610 North Pastoria Avenue       Sunnyvale, CA  94086
> Tel: 408-733-4400               Fax: 408-733-8009

--

        When you say:

Quote:> This system is new generation CRAY Supercomputers, refrigerated by air.
> (it doesn't requires complex installation procedures, or operation
> conditions)

        Does that apply to electrical requirements as well? In other
words: is it three phase?

Mark Lasersohn
Aztech Design

http://www.aztechdesign.com
Don't let the cows fool you!
330-569-7492

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Tony Robinso » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00



>         Does that apply to electrical requirements as well? In other
> words: is it three phase?

> Mark Lasersohn
> Aztech Design

> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Don't let the cows fool you!
> 330-569-7492

Hello Mark,

Earth Humor Yes? Asking if Cray no longer requires 3 Phase.........

But on a serious note, J90 are 220V, single Phase, usually 30-50 amp circuit, on
some units requires 2 circuits, just from my experience assisting a few friends
with installing their Cray's in their Barns.....

Tony

--
=============================================================================
Antonio Robinson
Pioneer Technology
"Your Technology SWAT Team"
Providing Year 2000 Embedded Systems assistance
Offices in Rochester Hills, Howell, and Detroit Michigan
Phone: 517-546-2855, Fax: 517-546-5310


============================================================================
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and lastly die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."         -------------       Robert Heinlein
============================================================================
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater
than the animating contest for freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and* the hand that
feeds you;
and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
--Samuel Adams
==============================================================================

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Matt Fuers » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Seriously, how much would one of these bad boys run? I'm not asking for
bids or anything, but how many zeros at the end of the check?

matt


> We have a a client interested in selling the following.
> If intereste I can be reached at the address below.
> Any possible purchase will be subject to all U.S.
> restrictions.

> CRAY J916
> 4 CPU Installed (200MFLOPS each)
> 64 MWords (512 MB RAM)  2 256MB Modules
> 36 GB Hard Drive (4 9GB Hard Drives)
> FDDI and Ethernet Network Interfaces
> 4mm DAT Drive
> This system is new generation CRAY Supercomputers, refrigerated by air.
> (it doesn't requires complex installation procedures, or operation
> conditions)
> UNICOS Operating System

> The Console is a SUN SPARC 5
> 17" Color Monitor
> 32MB RAM
> 2GB Hard Drive
> CD-ROM
> Keybd & Mouse

> The system includes software:
> UNICOS Operating System
> FORTRAN 90 & 77
> CRAY C, C++
> AIT
> CVT Cray Visualization Tools
> CRAY T3D Emulator
> NQS Queueing System
> Complete set of Manuals

> Thanks,


> Minicomputer Exchange, Inc.     http://www.mce.com/
> 610 North Pastoria Avenue       Sunnyvale, CA  94086
> Tel: 408-733-4400               Fax: 408-733-8009

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Kent Ranki » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00


>>         Does that apply to electrical requirements as well? In other
>> words: is it three phase?

>> Mark Lasersohn
>> Aztech Design

>> http://www.aztechdesign.com
>> Don't let the cows fool you!
>> 330-569-7492

>Hello Mark,

>Earth Humor Yes? Asking if Cray no longer requires 3 Phase.........

>But on a serious note, J90 are 220V, single Phase, usually 30-50 amp
circuit, on
>some units requires 2 circuits, just from my experience assisting a few
friends
>with installing their Cray's in their Barns.....

>Tony

    You know, I'm sure that not many people can claim to that barn bit.  =)

    Of course, Ira Moser has some Intel Paragon's in his barn up in
Washington.  Hehe... perhaps it's high time for some group therapy.

    Actually, the J90's don't require that much.  I sat there at the back of
that very J916 and measured with an ammeter of mine, and never saw more than
18A go through either circuit.  Now, mind you that you might experience
surges drawn, but my meter never fluctuated, and I feel confidant in CRI's
design of those power supplies.  =)  Mind you, they were drawn via two
seperate circuits for safety(and simplicity, mind you).

    The real bastard, though, are the power sockets on those J90-series
boxes.  They use a clamping power socket made by Hubbell that looks a lot
like a tri-phase socket.  It is possible that CRI just went with one socket
between their systems(single and tri-phase) to simplify things, so it might
have been a tri-phase socket.  I think they ran the owner around $180 US
each, if I recall correctly.

-

    Now that I think about it, running a HPC box in a pole barn isn't that
crazy compared to the places I've recently been considering running these
tri-phase Cray's that I'm spending my time acquiring.  =)  You just can't
stick them in the hall closet.  Damn.  =P

                                                        -Kent Rankin

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by skywri.. » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00




Quote:> Seriously, how much would one of these bad boys run? I'm not asking
for
> bids or anything, but how many zeros at the end of the check?

The last one went for five thousand dollars not including shipping.
Slightly better configuration too I think.

> matt


> > We have a a client interested in selling the following.
> > If intereste I can be reached at the address below.
> > Any possible purchase will be subject to all U.S.
> > restrictions.

> > CRAY J916
> > 4 CPU Installed (200MFLOPS each)
> > 64 MWords (512 MB RAM)  2 256MB Modules
> > 36 GB Hard Drive (4 9GB Hard Drives)
> > FDDI and Ethernet Network Interfaces
> > 4mm DAT Drive
> > This system is new generation CRAY Supercomputers, refrigerated by
air.
> > (it doesn't requires complex installation procedures, or operation
> > conditions)
> > UNICOS Operating System

> > The Console is a SUN SPARC 5
> > 17" Color Monitor
> > 32MB RAM
> > 2GB Hard Drive
> > CD-ROM
> > Keybd & Mouse

> > The system includes software:
> > UNICOS Operating System
> > FORTRAN 90 & 77
> > CRAY C, C++
> > AIT
> > CVT Cray Visualization Tools
> > CRAY T3D Emulator
> > NQS Queueing System
> > Complete set of Manuals

> > Thanks,


> > Minicomputer Exchange, Inc.     http://www.mce.com/
> > 610 North Pastoria Avenue       Sunnyvale, CA  94086
> > Tel: 408-733-4400               Fax: 408-733-8009

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Tony Robinso » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00



> Seriously, how much would one of these bad boys run? I'm not asking for
> bids or anything, but how many zeros at the end of the check?

> matt

Had a Friend, once, <<GG>> who appears on this news group every now and then,
pickup a Cray J-90 for $5,000.00 (US) not including shipping (about another
$1000) a few months ago, and a Y-MP without skins for $1000.00

These machines are being sold out at scrape prices.......

Tony
--
=============================================================================
Antonio Robinson
Pioneer Technology
"Your Technology SWAT Team"
Providing Year 2000 Embedded Systems assistance
Offices in Rochester Hills, Howell, and Detroit Michigan
Rochester Hills: 248-601-3860,  Fax: 248-601-3867
Detroit: Phone: 313-224-9245, Fax: 313-224-9239
Howell: Phone: 517-546-2855, Fax: 517-546-5310

============================================================================
Run Pat!, Run like the Wind!
Instead of hearing about this American through slanted News
Try Pat Buchanan Web site, then make you decision......

Official WebSite for Patrick J. Buchanan for President
Web: http://www.gopatgo2000.org
==============================================================================

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Tony Robinso » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00



>     You know, I'm sure that not many people can claim to that barn bit.  =)

Hello Kent,

So when are we going to the land of great single malt ((name your drink) and
pickup those C90/EL98's????  Damn I've offered to fund the hunting trip, now if
I can get our flyboy to offer to fly you/us over....<<G>>

In regards to the barns, there is a wild pack of Cray wolves out here in the
country side, I've stumble across now 4 separate sites, 2 in Michigan, and 1 you
know of.....

Tony

--
=============================================================================
Antonio Robinson
Pioneer Technology
"Your Technology SWAT Team"
Providing Year 2000 Embedded Systems assistance
Offices in Rochester Hills, Howell, and Detroit Michigan
Rochester Hills: 248-601-3860,  Fax: 248-601-3867
Detroit: Phone: 313-224-9245, Fax: 313-224-9239
Howell: Phone: 517-546-2855, Fax: 517-546-5310

============================================================================
Run Pat!, Run like the Wind!
Instead of hearing about this American through slanted News
Try Pat Buchanan Web site, then make you decision......

Official WebSite for Patrick J. Buchanan for President
Web: http://www.gopatgo2000.org
==============================================================================

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Zsolt Sza » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00




Quote:>Seriously, how much would one of these bad boys run? I'm not asking for
>bids or anything, but how many zeros at the end of the check?

200 Mflops isn't exactly fast, is it?

--
__      ||  _      |
_/ __ _ |+-(_ __ _ |_  _
/__\ (_)|| __) /(_||_)(_)

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Sameer Sheik » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00


how do these Crays stack up to the inexpensive computing power of today?

-Sameer



> > Seriously, how much would one of these bad boys run? I'm not asking for
> > bids or anything, but how many zeros at the end of the check?

> > matt

> Had a Friend, once, <<GG>> who appears on this news group every now and
then,
> pickup a Cray J-90 for $5,000.00 (US) not including shipping (about
another
> $1000) a few months ago, and a Y-MP without skins for $1000.00

> These machines are being sold out at scrape prices.......

> Tony
> --

============================================================================
=
> Antonio Robinson
> Pioneer Technology
> "Your Technology SWAT Team"
> Providing Year 2000 Embedded Systems assistance
> Offices in Rochester Hills, Howell, and Detroit Michigan
> Rochester Hills: 248-601-3860,  Fax: 248-601-3867
> Detroit: Phone: 313-224-9245, Fax: 313-224-9239
> Howell: Phone: 517-546-2855, Fax: 517-546-5310


============================================================================
Quote:> Run Pat!, Run like the Wind!
> Instead of hearing about this American through slanted News
> Try Pat Buchanan Web site, then make you decision......

> Official WebSite for Patrick J. Buchanan for President
> Web: http://www.gopatgo2000.org

============================================================================
==

- Show quoted text -

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by skywri.. » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00


They are serious machines designed, built, and used for serious
computational applications. The "inexpensive computing power of
today" are jolly little PC's, the penultimate miscarriage of
computation.



> how do these Crays stack up to the inexpensive computing power of
today?

> -Sameer




> > > Seriously, how much would one of these bad boys run? I'm not
asking for
> > > bids or anything, but how many zeros at the end of the check?

> > > matt

> > Had a Friend, once, <<GG>> who appears on this news group every now
and
> then,
> > pickup a Cray J-90 for $5,000.00 (US) not including shipping (about
> another
> > $1000) a few months ago, and a Y-MP without skins for $1000.00

> > These machines are being sold out at scrape prices.......

> > Tony
> > --

============================================================================
> =
> > Antonio Robinson
> > Pioneer Technology
> > "Your Technology SWAT Team"
> > Providing Year 2000 Embedded Systems assistance
> > Offices in Rochester Hills, Howell, and Detroit Michigan
> > Rochester Hills: 248-601-3860,  Fax: 248-601-3867
> > Detroit: Phone: 313-224-9245, Fax: 313-224-9239
> > Howell: Phone: 517-546-2855, Fax: 517-546-5310


============================================================================
Quote:> > Run Pat!, Run like the Wind!
> > Instead of hearing about this American through slanted News
> > Try Pat Buchanan Web site, then make you decision......

> > Official WebSite for Patrick J. Buchanan for President
> > Web: http://www.gopatgo2000.org

============================================================================

Quote:> ==

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Iris » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00


I don't think so.  Serious machines had their time, but after that,
computing should grow cheap, portable, and universal.  Those old Crays
had their time, but would you rather a 2 ton steel box requiring extra
electrical works and a large spare room, or a slim and stylish Sony
PIII500 with 13.3" LCD display and wireless connection?  

Regards


> They are serious machines designed, built, and used for serious
> computational applications. The "inexpensive computing power of
> today" are jolly little PC's, the penultimate miscarriage of
> computation.



> > how do these Crays stack up to the inexpensive computing power of
> today?

> > -Sameer




> > > > Seriously, how much would one of these bad boys run? I'm not
> asking for
> > > > bids or anything, but how many zeros at the end of the check?

> > > > matt

> > > Had a Friend, once, <<GG>> who appears on this news group every now
> and
> > then,
> > > pickup a Cray J-90 for $5,000.00 (US) not including shipping (about
> > another
> > > $1000) a few months ago, and a Y-MP without skins for $1000.00

> > > These machines are being sold out at scrape prices.......

> > > Tony
> > > --

> ============================================================================
> > =
> > > Antonio Robinson
> > > Pioneer Technology
> > > "Your Technology SWAT Team"
> > > Providing Year 2000 Embedded Systems assistance
> > > Offices in Rochester Hills, Howell, and Detroit Michigan
> > > Rochester Hills: 248-601-3860,  Fax: 248-601-3867
> > > Detroit: Phone: 313-224-9245, Fax: 313-224-9239
> > > Howell: Phone: 517-546-2855, Fax: 517-546-5310

> ============================================================================
> > > Run Pat!, Run like the Wind!
> > > Instead of hearing about this American through slanted News
> > > Try Pat Buchanan Web site, then make you decision......

> > > Official WebSite for Patrick J. Buchanan for President
> > > Web: http://www.gopatgo2000.org

> ============================================================================
> > ==

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by skywri.. » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00




Quote:> I don't think so.  Serious machines had their time, but after that,
> computing should grow cheap, portable, and universal.  Those old Crays
> had their time, but would you rather a 2 ton steel box requiring extra
> electrical works and a large spare room, or a slim and stylish Sony
> PIII500 with 13.3" LCD display and wireless connection?

The Cray of course.

> Regards


> > They are serious machines designed, built, and used for serious
> > computational applications. The "inexpensive computing power of
> > today" are jolly little PC's, the penultimate miscarriage of
> > computation.



> > > how do these Crays stack up to the inexpensive computing power of
> > today?

> > > -Sameer




> > > > > Seriously, how much would one of these bad boys run? I'm not
> > asking for
> > > > > bids or anything, but how many zeros at the end of the check?

> > > > > matt

> > > > Had a Friend, once, <<GG>> who appears on this news group every
now
> > and
> > > then,
> > > > pickup a Cray J-90 for $5,000.00 (US) not including shipping
(about
> > > another
> > > > $1000) a few months ago, and a Y-MP without skins for $1000.00

> > > > These machines are being sold out at scrape prices.......

> > > > Tony
> > > > --

============================================================================
> > > =
> > > > Antonio Robinson
> > > > Pioneer Technology
> > > > "Your Technology SWAT Team"
> > > > Providing Year 2000 Embedded Systems assistance
> > > > Offices in Rochester Hills, Howell, and Detroit Michigan
> > > > Rochester Hills: 248-601-3860,  Fax: 248-601-3867
> > > > Detroit: Phone: 313-224-9245, Fax: 313-224-9239
> > > > Howell: Phone: 517-546-2855, Fax: 517-546-5310


============================================================================
Quote:> > > > Run Pat!, Run like the Wind!
> > > > Instead of hearing about this American through slanted News
> > > > Try Pat Buchanan Web site, then make you decision......

> > > > Official WebSite for Patrick J. Buchanan for President
> > > > Web: http://www.gopatgo2000.org

============================================================================

Quote:> > > ==

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
 
 
 

Cray System Available

Post by Matthew C Weig » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00


My preference would definitely be a laptop networked wirelessly with the
Cray in the ba*t.  Crack RC5 like crazy while surfing the web!

Feh.  Whoever said people had to choose one or the other...


>I don't think so.  Serious machines had their time, but after that,
>computing should grow cheap, portable, and universal.  Those old Crays
>had their time, but would you rather a 2 ton steel box requiring extra
>electrical works and a large spare room, or a slim and stylish Sony
>PIII500 with 13.3" LCD display and wireless connection?  

--
 Matthew Weigel                                       Programmer/Sysadmin

                         http://www.veryComputer.com/~weigel