Broadcast mask change

Post by Robert Lebowi » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I've actually got two problems I'm dealing with... the first has to do
with the default broadcast mask for my ec0 (ethernet) interface.  Typing
ifconfig ec0, I discovered that the mask has the old values from when the
machine was housed at a different institution.... I manually changed the
values by issuing an ifconfig ec0 etc..... command, but I can't figure
out where the old values are being stored on the system.  Can someone
point these out to me?

Is there a network configuring tool that works in text mode that I might
use for future problems of this sort?

Broadcast mask change

Post by Dave Ols » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

| I've actually got two problems I'm dealing with... the first has to do
| with the default broadcast mask for my ec0 (ethernet) interface.  Typing
| ifconfig ec0, I discovered that the mask has the old values from when the
| machine was housed at a different institution.... I manually changed the
| values by issuing an ifconfig ec0 etc..... command, but I can't figure
| out where the old values are being stored on the system.  Can someone
| point these out to me?

/etc/config/ifconfig-1.options  is the file (where 1 is the number of
the interface, if you have multiple interfaces).

| Is there a network configuring tool that works in text mode that I might
| use for future problems of this sort?

I find that vi and cat work quite well, combined with man and grep ;)

A thorough study of /etc/init.d/network and it's comments can be
interested and rewarding ;) (similarly for other /etc/init.d files on
other config issues).
--

The most beautiful things in the world | Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics
are those from which all excess weight | http://reality.sgi.com/employees/olson

1. Q: Changing IP # and Subnet Mask

Hi,

I'm going to be moving a cluster of SGIs (a NIS server
and its clients) over to a new
LAN soon which will require new IP numbers and a new
subnet mask. We are keeping the same domain name
and DNS server specifications. Oh and I'm running
IRIX 6.5.4m on all systems.

Although I have set up plenty of SGIs
from scratch, I want to make sure that IRIX doesn't
stash things like host name and IP number in odd
places (as Solaris has been known to do) such that when
I reboot the machines suffer an identity crisis.

I've planned to  change the following files on each host:

/etc/hosts (of course)           (for new IP number(s) )
/etc/config/netif.options        (for interface specification)
/etc/config/ifconfig-1.options   (for netmask and broadcast)

Relative to NIS I'm not changing anything ot at least
I'm thinking that I don't have to. Are there any other
files that might stash the IP # or netmask ?

Steve Pittard    | http://catalina.bimcore.emory.edu/www (HOME PAGE)

BIMCORE Support  | 404 727 0038

2. Q:RAR how do i decompress a rar file?

3. Change BROADCAST address

4. SCSI Win95

5. Gateway / Broadcast IP change

6. My Documents location for New Users

7. Irix 6.2 Subnet Mask? Help

8. Q: setting subnet masks with route(1M)??

9. Masking commands from ps

10. Irix 6.2 Subnet Mask? Help

11. Subnet masking and routing tables

12. how do I mask and unmask _INVALID floating point exceptions?