SGI IRIS harddrive format using sifex

Post by Bill Thompso » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I've got an SGI IRIS 3130 that we use to model visual databases using
IDEAL4 application for IMAGE IV visual systems.

I just recently received 2 SGI IRIS computers and I am presently trying
to configure the hard drives to match the one on our present system.
The units are all configured identically with Hitachi 512-17 ESDI drives
and have the same board configuration.

I made a "mkboot" tape from the present system and used it to boot the
first new unit.  I then started the new unit from tape and ran 'sifex'.
I configured the new unit's hard drive to match the configuration of our
present units' hard drive.  I then installed the operating system from
the "mkboot" tape.

When I reboot the unit off of the hard drive and run the filesystem
check the /usr partition fails with a reference to "bitmap size
808464432 should be 101058054".  I've tried modifying the /etc/mtab file
to include a reference to the partition (adding the line /dev/si0f /usr
efs rw,raw=/dev/rsi0f 0 0)  but every time I reboot it removes the line
I added.  (The /etc/fstab has references to both partitions.)

Bill Thompson
Simulator Engineer, Visual Systems
FlightSafety Boeing
P.O. Box 34787, M/S 20-40
Seattle, Washington 98124-1787

Ph. (206)662-8553

1. Question please: Floating points format used by SGI and PC

Hi,
I am trying to read data (by C program) from a PC machine. The files is
in binary, and full of floating values.
My problem is that it because PC's floating format is not the same as
the one used in SGI.
It seems to me that the SGI is using big endian, but PC is small endian.
Therefore, I tried to swap the bytes (4 of them). The result seem to be
close, but not exactly right.

I know that in VAX system, there are D_floating, F_floating, G_floating,
and H_floating, Different floating has different Byte size, Exponent
Size, and Fraction Size.etc...

Is SGI in the same situation?
I know that SGI is using "IEEE floating point with big-endian byte
ordering". Where can I find the standard? Don't know the bits' orders.
How about PC's? What format, and the bits orders?

Thank you very much!

Simon

2. Micron Pentium Pro with Warp?

3. Xref AutocadR13 problem

4. Using C interface to SGI Image Format Libary (IFL) under 6.3

5. controller for lasermaster 1200

6. Need help with 3100 SIFEX

7. Get IP Adress

8. Selling used SGI Personal IRIS

9. Help:Who are using old SGI iris workstaion with irix 3.1?

10. search for used graphic board for SGI Personal Iris 4D-25GT

11. Using remote cdrom (text format)

12. Has anyone used ICE on O2 to accelerate movie format conversion?