NFS funnies - cannot pwd on SGI box on fs exported from Tru64 Unix

NFS funnies - cannot pwd on SGI box on fs exported from Tru64 Unix

Post by Irvine Shor » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi All

I have the following situation:

A Compaq Alphaserver DS20 with dual 500MHz CPUs
uname -a gives: OSF1 breakdance V4.0 1229 alpha
Its straight out the box, an eval machine from Compaq and a bit of paper in
the box said path 1 had been applied.

A SGI O2000, 4 x 195MHz CPUs
uname -a gives: IRIX64 ziggy 6.5 05190003 IP27

I've exported a directory on the Compaq (breakdance) to the SGI (ziggy)

I can mount it OK, and in fact copied over 4GB of data over the network from
the SGI to the Compaq no problem.

I can, from the SGI machine, cd around the nfs filesystem from the Compaq,
cat files, etc etc but I cannot pwd:
ziggy 4% cd /data10
ziggy 5% cd u01
ziggy 6% pwd
Cannot determine current directory
ziggy 7%

This is the line from the fstab on the SGI:
breakdance:/user2/oracle /data10 nfs hard,bg,proto=tcp 0 0

And this is the line from the exports file on the Compaq:
/user2/oracle   --root=0 ziggy.sanbi.ac.za

I have tried, on the SGI side, both hard and soft as well as both tcp and
udp for the protocol. Results are the same. Things are also the same whether
I am root or an ordinary user.

What fixes the pwd problem is to use NFS version 2, but that breaks a few
other things.

NFS between the SGI and various Sun and Linux machines is 100% fine, nfs ver
2 and 3.

All help would be very much appreciated - my users have a deadline and this
is a bad time for all!

Please also cc any replies by email - I'm going to be out and about today
and if anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear about them ASAP

Thanks in advance,

--
Regards,

Irvine Short

IS Consulting
196 Longmarket Street,
Cape Town
tel/fax 021 423 0233
cell 082 494 3828

Post by Alexis Cousei » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi All

> I have the following situation:

> A Compaq Alphaserver DS20 with dual 500MHz CPUs
> uname -a gives: OSF1 breakdance V4.0 1229 alpha
> Its straight out the box, an eval machine from Compaq and a bit of paper in
> the box said path 1 had been applied.

> A SGI O2000, 4 x 195MHz CPUs
> uname -a gives: IRIX64 ziggy 6.5 05190003 IP27

> I've exported a directory on the Compaq (breakdance) to the SGI (ziggy)

> I can mount it OK, and in fact copied over 4GB of data over the network from
> the SGI to the Compaq no problem.

> I can, from the SGI machine, cd around the nfs filesystem from the Compaq,
> cat files, etc etc but I cannot pwd:
> ziggy 4% cd /data10
> ziggy 5% cd u01
> ziggy 6% pwd
> Cannot determine current directory
> ziggy 7%

Almost surely a perms problem -- if it's fixed by using NFS v2, probably
on the NFS server side (NFS v2 has a way of mapping permissions that
uses another model than Unix, with less levels).

Check that both /data10 on the SGI before the mount is active is at
least r-x, and that the directory being exported on the Ultrix system is
also r-x -- NOT r-- or --x, and *all the way from / to the path you're
in*.

Unfortunately, you said you could ls, but have not posted results, so
diagnosis is hard.

--
<standard disclaimer: these are my personal views, not SGI's>

Systems Engineer                SGI Belgium

NFS funnies - cannot pwd on SGI box on fs exported from Tru64 Unix

Post by Mike Moh » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I got nailed by something similar involving a couple DG machines.  The fault was
in the permissions at the mount point on the NFS client (in your case, the
SGI).  Make sure the mount point has, at a minimum, r-x world.  As to why most
NFS installations use the mount point permissions to determine access rights and
then display the permissions from the host machine is unknown.  I would expect
all information to be relative to the mount point, with subdirectory rules
applying from that point forward.

> Hi All

> I have the following situation:

> A Compaq Alphaserver DS20 with dual 500MHz CPUs
> uname -a gives: OSF1 breakdance V4.0 1229 alpha
> Its straight out the box, an eval machine from Compaq and a bit of paper in
> the box said path 1 had been applied.

> A SGI O2000, 4 x 195MHz CPUs
> uname -a gives: IRIX64 ziggy 6.5 05190003 IP27

> I've exported a directory on the Compaq (breakdance) to the SGI (ziggy)

> I can mount it OK, and in fact copied over 4GB of data over the network from
> the SGI to the Compaq no problem.

> I can, from the SGI machine, cd around the nfs filesystem from the Compaq,
> cat files, etc etc but I cannot pwd:
> ziggy 4% cd /data10
> ziggy 5% cd u01
> ziggy 6% pwd
> Cannot determine current directory
> ziggy 7%

> This is the line from the fstab on the SGI:
> breakdance:/user2/oracle /data10 nfs hard,bg,proto=tcp 0 0

> And this is the line from the exports file on the Compaq:
> /user2/oracle   --root=0 ziggy.sanbi.ac.za

> I have tried, on the SGI side, both hard and soft as well as both tcp and
> udp for the protocol. Results are the same. Things are also the same whether
> I am root or an ordinary user.

> What fixes the pwd problem is to use NFS version 2, but that breaks a few
> other things.

> NFS between the SGI and various Sun and Linux machines is 100% fine, nfs ver
> 2 and 3.

> All help would be very much appreciated - my users have a deadline and this
> is a bad time for all!

> Please also cc any replies by email - I'm going to be out and about today
> and if anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear about them ASAP

> Thanks in advance,

> --
> Regards,

> Irvine Short

> IS Consulting
> 196 Longmarket Street,
> Cape Town
> tel/fax 021 423 0233
> cell 082 494 3828

Information Technology Group      === Phone: 64 9 307-9999 x8133
Auckland Institute of Technology  === Fax:   64 9 307-9901
PO Box 92006, Auckland, New Zealand =
http://home.ait.ac.nz/staff/mmohr/
If we have unlimited ability to think, why do we use computers?