HELP!! with gateway ip change

Post by Stev » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi, SGI Gurus:

I would like to know the proper way to change IRIX default gateway IP, say
from .1 to .9.         I have no problem to change it on HPUX via sam, but
have no clue to do right on SGI IRIX.

Your help is greatly appreciatd!

Steve

HELP!! with gateway ip change

Post by Alexis Cousei » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi, SGI Gurus:

> I would like to know the proper way to change IRIX default gateway IP, say
> from .1 to .9.         I have no problem to change it on HPUX via sam, but
> have no clue to do right on SGI IRIX.

It's in the FAQ (so netiquette would have required you to find it before
posting ;) ).

If you are running 6.x and have the patches that you want (see
recommended patches on support.sgi.com), see
/etc/config/static-route.options.
--
<standard disclaimer: these are my personal views, not SGI's>

Systems Engineer                SGI Belgium

HELP!! with gateway ip change

Post by Arthur Hage » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi, SGI Gurus:

> I would like to know the proper way to change IRIX default gateway IP, say
> from .1 to .9.         I have no problem to change it on HPUX via sam, but
> have no clue to do right on SGI IRIX.

Unlike on HPUX, "vi" is the preferred system administration tool on most
unixes.

Try using it on /etc/config/static-route.options

Regards,
--
*Art

1. Gateway / Broadcast IP change

I'm administering a couple of SGIs in our lab for a short while (they're on their
own lab subnet).  Recently, there has been a change of gateway & broadcast
IP addresses (the netmask has been maintained).  I'm not sure which files
I need to update on the machines for the IP change to take effect.  Right
now the machines are on but cannot "see" the network.

Here's what someone told me Re SUN admin:

--------------
On Suns, the default gateway is defined in /etc/defaultrouter,
or it can be set manually, e.g.:

        route add default 132.239.9.193 1

On Suns, broadcast is set up when the network interface is configured
with the ifconfig command, e.g. to do it manually for asgard:

  ifconfig 132.239.9.217 up netmask 255.255.255.192 broadcast
132.239.9.255

(Handled in rc.local using file /etc/broadcast.le0 on a SunOS machine.)
---------------

I don't think that these commands exist on the SGIs.  How is this change
handled then?

Thanks,

Dimitris

2. VIM: Changes in 6.0

3. HELP: Gauntlet Firewall Plug Gateway IP alias binding.

4. USB or Parallel, Epson Stylus Color 900

5. HELP: Gauntlet Firewall Plug Gateway IP Binding.

6. BOOT.INI

7. Where do I add a gateway IP (IRIX 5.3/6.2)

8. How do I get values from a DataTable?

9. how can I set gateway IP ?

10. ip=10.0.0.6 gateway=207.x.x.x

11. help with ip aliasing / multiple ip

12. Changing Gateways causes System Failure!?

13. Changing default gateway in Indigo2, Irix 6.2