HELP : Powerstation won't start up after loading monitor ??

HELP : Powerstation won't start up after loading monitor ??

Post by A.vanels » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
        we seem to have a serious problem with a Powerstation here. We noticed
that the machine had locked (no-one was logged in at the time, but the screen
was blank), so we decided to reboot the machine.
We turned the power off and on, and the machine started up as usual. Once it
passed all tests on memory, hardware, etc., it gave the usual mesage of
But after that, the machine just hangs and nothing happens anymore. There is a
small led display near the powerswitch, that keeps displaying 1 2 1 2 1 2 1
2...., I believe that that should not be the case.
Does anyone know what is happening ? Could it be a hardware problem, eventhough
the tests that are performed all report PASSED ??
Do we have a faulty disk perhaps ? Is there a way to boot the machine from
CDROM ?
BTW. someone used the machine a bit earlier remotely, and all was fine then.
I would appreciate ANY advice and help on this matter !!!!
Thanks in advance,

Edmund Blackadder : "Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a subtle plan if it
                     painted itself purple and danced * on top of a
                     harpsichord singing 'Subtle plans are here again'."

HELP : Powerstation won't start up after loading monitor ??

Post by Paul Spenc » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>    we seem to have a serious problem with a Powerstation here.

I think you mean `Power Series'.

Quote:> We turned the power off and on, and the machine started up as usual. Once it
> passed all tests on memory, hardware, etc., it gave the usual mesage of
> But after that, the machine just hangs and nothing happens anymore.

It sounds like your console has been set to the serial line. Attach a
9600 baud ASCII terminal to serial port #1 and see if that's the case.
If so, choose 5 in the menu, say `setenv console g' then `init', and
things will be back to normal.

....paul

--
Paul Spencer                 Silicon Graphics Advanced Graphics Division

Post by A.vanels » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> >       we seem to have a serious problem with a Powerstation here.

> I think you mean `Power Series'.

> > We turned the power off and on, and the machine started up as usual. Once it
> > passed all tests on memory, hardware, etc., it gave the usual mesage of
> > But after that, the machine just hangs and nothing happens anymore.

> It sounds like your console has been set to the serial line. Attach a
> 9600 baud ASCII terminal to serial port #1 and see if that's the case.
> If so, choose 5 in the menu, say `setenv console g' then `init', and
> things will be back to normal.

> ....paul

> --
> Paul Spencer                 Silicon Graphics Advanced Graphics Division

Hi Paul,
        I believe the problem is more serious. The thing is, I don't actually
get to see the monitor menu !!!
The message says that it has been loaded succesfully, and then the machine
hangs.
Could it be that the monitor isn't loaded correctly (is it in prom ??).
Thanks for any help, we are somewhat desparate !

Baldrick :           Have you got a plan, my lord?
Edmund Blackadder :  Yes I have...and it's so cunning you could brush your
                     teeth with it.
Lord Melchet      :  So - it's maximum security. Is that clear?
Edmund Blackadder :  Certainly, sir. Only myself and the rest of the
                     English-speaking world is to know.

1. Indigo2 won't load 5.2,5.3 but will load 6.2

Anyone have this problem:

An Indigo2 XL won't load generic 5.3 or 5.3 but will load and run with
6.2 IRIX.  Also, the error happens after copying the installation tools
to the disk and then the screen switches and it displays IRIX Panic due
to Bus Error [insert hex addresses here] and locks up.

Any help would be app.

Regards,

2. PCtransporters

3. Help needed: O2 won't start

4. Wanted : NT shopping cart, professional, off the shelf. Anyone???

5. Help! Indy won't start up!

6. DOA'99 Advance program

7. URGENT HELP: SGI UNIX IRIX 5.3 box won't boot ("cannot load /sash:)

8. Analyse Maillog?

9. HELP NEEDED: X server won't start

10. UPS's and SGI's, can one unplug the monitor?

11. HELP!!! 'ld' won't run

12. Netscape won't stop starting up

13. R5000 on Indy won't start up system