NEC 6xe SCSI CD-ROM Drive

Post by Gna » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to get a NEC 6xe drive to work with an SGI? I don't
much care for SGIs price for their 4 speed drive when I have a 6 speed I
can use. I found some information on the web about the older NEC drives
but I couldn't get any of those fixes to work for this drive.

I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks,
David Whittle
Internet Systems Developer
Digital City

NEC 6xe SCSI CD-ROM Drive

Post by DMNor » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>City

I have the same CD ROM and am having the same rouble, so I called NEC
support. They told me that the block size for the CDROM is 2048 bits and
the SGI is expecting 512.  To fix the problem they gave me a phone number
to call.  Unfortunately, it is now disconnected.

I have no idea what any of this means except I can't get my R4000 running
5.3 to read the CD.

Maybe someone out there can help. I would be very grateful.
Thanks,
Doug Nordlander

1. NEC 6Xe CD-ROM not happy

I've recently tried attaching the new NEC 6Xe CDROM to an Indy, but
it is not very happy - the fact that it is a CD is recognised, but
as it's an unknown type I can't access any data, etc.

Am I out of luck with this machine, or is there something I can do?

--
        _____   ceci n'est  ____  _     pas une   _   _   email
       (__ __) o  ______   (  __)( )_  ___  ___ _( )_( )_  ___   ______

2. Linux Development

3. NEC CD-ROM Drive

4. Removing decorations in OSF 2.0 Motif 1.2.x

5. How? NEC 2x CD-ROM drive on Indy

6. Help! OS/2 wont recognize my modem

7. NEC CD-ROM Drives and an Indigo R3k...

8. HP Desk Jet 890C start up problem

9. Apple, NEC CD-ROM Drives on SGI?

10. NEC CD-ROM Drives

11. NEC CDR-73 CD-ROM Drive on an Indy