Mail to 'root' goes to 'guest'

Post by Barry Lesh » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'm a new user of an Indigo2 running IRIX6.2 and I've got a problem with
setting up the mail system.  Root can send mail, but does not receive
mail.  Mail directed to 'root' ends up in the 'guest' account.   I think
there should be a simple fix, but I haven't found it.  I'd appreciate
some help.  Thanks.

Barry Lesht

Mail to 'root' goes to 'guest'

Post by Georg Schwa » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I'm a new user of an Indigo2 running IRIX6.2 and I've got a problem with
>setting up the mail system.  Root can send mail, but does not receive
>mail.  Mail directed to 'root' ends up in the 'guest' account.   I think
>there should be a simple fix, but I haven't found it.  I'd appreciate
>some help.  Thanks.

Did you have a look at /etc/aliases? Or maybe there's a ~root/.forward
(probably /.forward)?
--

Institut fr Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi
Technische Universit?t Berlin            http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

Mail to 'root' goes to 'guest'

Post by Raven Tompkin » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I'm a new user of an Indigo2 running IRIX6.2 and I've got a problem with
> setting up the mail system.  Root can send mail, but does not receive
> mail.  Mail directed to 'root' ends up in the 'guest' account.   I think
> there should be a simple fix, but I haven't found it.  I'd appreciate
> some help.  Thanks.

> Barry Lesht

Are you using mediamail? Under media mail when you use it for the
first time there's a window that pops up asking if you want large
messages to be split. There seems to be a bug in there somewhere
because under 6.2 if you tell it to split long messages it then
proceeds to send all mail addressed to root to the guest account.

I've seen this happen on a couple machines. Haven't found a patch
or workaround for it. The only solution I'm aware of is to not enable
the option to split large messages or to use a different mailer.

--
Raven Tompkins         (a quiescent assemblage of molecules)

Mail to 'root' goes to 'guest'

Post by Don Manni » Fri, 03 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I'm a new user of an Indigo2 running IRIX6.2 and I've got a problem with
> setting up the mail system.  Root can send mail, but does not receive
> mail.  Mail directed to 'root' ends up in the 'guest' account.   I think
> there should be a simple fix, but I haven't found it.  I'd appreciate
> some help.  Thanks.

> Barry Lesht

get rid of the .forward file in the root directory (it's put there when
MediaMail first started up as root).

don.

1. 4.0.5 -> 5.3 update, now 'lpr' goes through 'lp'??

| We finally got our memory upgrades (and a few new machines) and brought
| everything up to Irix 5.3.  Everything for the most part is working fine
| *except* printing via lpr. We are printing via CAP, so I would like it to
| stay an lpr optional system if at all possible.
|
|   o Yes, lpr *is* installed on every machine
|
|   o All the printcap files are the same as before.  One machine acts as
|     the host, all others simply forward requests to the host.
|
|   o I have made sure that everyone was in hosts.equiv and/or hosts.lpd
|     (we tried both)
|
|   o Local lpr printing works fine
|
| But, from another machine in our "cluster", all lpr requests (lpr, lpq, etc)
| result in the same thing:
|
| % lpq
| printer_host_name: lpsched: unknown printer
|
| This appears to show that, now, the lpr subsystem is attempting to go
| through the lp subsystem.  Is this true?  Is this terminal?  Is there any
| suggestion of what I can do to go around this (easily)?

Yes, the sysV and lpr spooler are basicly one program in 5.3.  It should
work, although we have never (and still don't) officially supported
being an lpr print server, just a client.  It should work, though.
The 'print' relnotes should offer some clues.  I've not set this up
myself.

| The same question applies to using PC-NFS. It appears that the only
| available printers available are those under lp, not lpr.

If it's the ftp'able pcnfs from sgi, yes, it wants lp.
--

The most beautiful things in the world | Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics
are those from which all excess weight | http://reality.sgi.com/employees/olson

2. Anyone Want An XBox

3. Anyone with more info on '3D-GO' or 'GIG'?

4. ZELDA III (SNES)

5. help: 'root' logs in as 'diag'

6. sub selects

7. root's mail delvd to guest!

8. ME, PPTP and NetBIOS

9. HELP: user's mail gets into root's mailbox

10. Any way to get fx's 'label/show/part' 'off-line'?

11. SYSERR: can't open database 'G' [/usr/local/mail/generics]

12. Mail problem: No group id of 'mail'

13. WTB: PO's PO's Origin200's Systems and CPU's