Newbie with SMP-Related question

Post by Brian Zurbac » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 04:24:07

Hi All,

Many of you may recognize my name from earlier posts to this and the
.hardware group.  I'd like to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped
me get my Challenge L up and running (it now is)!!

cruncher.  I've successfully run the Seti client software, and it is
happily crunching away at the first work unit as I write this.  At the

Looking at the front panel status monitor, it is easy to see that the
Seti client is maxxing out one processor.  The other seven are idling,
however.  I am using the serial console to communicate with the server
via Windoze and TeraTerm.  Is there a simple script or an easy way that
I can run eight clients simultaneously inside one console terminal
window?  Based on my observations, it would appear that the binaries for
the Seti Client have not been written to allow the use of SMP for a
single work unit, so I need to run eight at once to take advantage of
all this extra hardware.  I know that a lock file is generated in the
setiathome directory when the file is executed, so I'll probably have to
set things up with other directories and symbolic links.  I'm willing to
manPage and UNIX for Dummies the symbolic link command structure, I'd
just like a little guidance on how to run multiple processes
simultaneously under a single console (right now I run Seti with the
-verbose option, which may not be a possibility with what I'd like to do
above).

If it makes it easier, I just got my R4k Indigo up and running as well,
it's kind of easy to open multiple shells in the GUI.  I'm willing to
try my hand at interfacing these machines as well if that can achieve my
result.

Once again a big THANKS to everyone who has helped out so far, please
respond via email with any hints/tips/tricks.

Best Regards,

Brian S. Zurbach

Post by Walter Robers » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:35:23

:cruncher.  I've successfully run the Seti client software, and it is
:happily crunching away at the first work unit as I write this.  At the

:Looking at the front panel status monitor, it is easy to see that the
:Seti client is maxxing out one processor.  The other seven are idling,
:however.  I am using the serial console to communicate with the server
:via Windoze and TeraTerm.  Is there a simple script or an easy way that
:I can run eight clients simultaneously inside one console terminal
:window?

Yes, and it's provided with the SGI SETI implimentation.

Install the SGI wrappers, chkconfig seti on, edit
/etc/config/seti.options and change NPROCS=8 .
cd /usr/seti; ./setup
Then  /etc/rc2.d/S99seti start  and you're off to the races.