How can I use my Zip Parallel Port drive on my O2?

How can I use my Zip Parallel Port drive on my O2?

Post by Tony Ju » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

    Hello,

    I urgently need to transfer files from my WinNT box to my O2. I'm having
some serious trouble with my network so I am unable to transfer files through
my network. I also don't have a modem connected to my O2, so ftp is not possible.
The only immediate solution I have is to use my slow Zip parallel port drive.
The drive is connected to my WinNT box and the zip disks are dos formatted.

    Can anyone tell me how I can get access to my Zip parallel port drive on
my O2? I specifically need to know what cable I need to hook up the drive to
the O2 since the O2 doesn't have a parallel port, but 2 serial ports.

Thanks,

- Tony

   -**** Posted from Supernews, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****-
http://www.supernews.com/ - Host to the World's Discussions & Usenet

Post by Scott Henr » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

T>     Can anyone tell me how I can get access to my Zip parallel
T> port drive on my O2? I specifically need to know what cable I
T> need to hook up the drive to the O2 since the O2 doesn't have a
T> parallel port, but 2 serial ports.

You cannot use the parallel port version of the Zip driv eon any
SGI. Only the SCSI version. Then everything should work fine. If you
have any troubles mounting the FAT format disk, search dejanews for
some Ariel Faigon postings describing workarounds.

--

 IRIX MTS,                   /  GIGO *really* means: Garbage in, Gospel Out
 Silicon Graphics, Inc      /  http://reality.sgi.com/scotth/

1. Parallel Port Zip Drive?

I have seen lots of info here about using SCSI Zip drives on an O2,
but I don't know if anyone has posed this question (before I purchase
a Zip):
        Can I use a parallel port Zip drive with an O2?

I don't want to get a SCSI because I want to use the drive with my
laptop (non-SCSI), and I just want the drive for arcival needs.
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Ameduri
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Department of Radiation Oncology

2. Mouseover change color with theme

3. ZIP Drive on parallel port?

4. All HAIL Bill GATES - quit crying!

5. Parallel port Zip-100 on O2?

6. Just got a Modem

7. Iomega Parallel port zip disk on Indigo2

8. *** Simons Basic ****

9. Using a SCSI Zip drive on O2?

10. Iomega zip drive to SGI via parallel: am I mad?

11. Timing swapbuffers() using the parallel port and different monitor modes.

12. Q : using parallel port on SGI for data acquisition

13. Using the Indy's parallel port