Effects of 5.2 ==> 5.3 migration on INDY admin, serial & audio I/O?

Effects of 5.2 ==> 5.3 migration on INDY admin, serial & audio I/O?

Post by Jonathan Ro » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

We have some INDY R4400s which, for various reasons, are only now being
considered for an upgrade from IRIX 5.2 to 5.3.  We're concerned about
backward compatibility, especially for local system admin procedures
(related to NIS, /etc/rc*.d, et al) and for applications which use serial or
audio devices.  Ideally, we'd like to simply reinstall the apps and have
them run, without recompilation or code changes.

Does anyone know of problems we might encounter in these areas?
The product announcement
(http://www.sgi.com/Products/software/5.3.announce.html) suggests not, but I
can't bank on it.

Jonathan Ross                                                 70 Fawcett St

BBN Speech Products                            617-873-3272, 873-2473 (FAX)

Post by Walter Robers » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

:We have some INDY R4400s which, for various reasons, are only now being
:considered for an upgrade from IRIX 5.2 to 5.3.  We're concerned about
:backward compatibility, especially for local system admin procedures
:(related to NIS, /etc/rc*.d, et al) and for applications which use serial or
:audio devices.  Ideally, we'd like to simply reinstall the apps and have
:them run, without recompilation or code changes.
:
:Does anyone know of problems we might encounter in these areas?

Audio... I don't really know.

Serial: if you do not currently have installed patch 151 for IRIX 5.2

patchSG0000151: Hardware flow control problem when using serial ports

then you probably need to make source changes to take into account
the termios c_cflag CNEW_RTSCTS.

If you DO already have that installed, then you probably won't see
anything differences in IRIX 5.3... except that the PPP version you
can get for IRIX 5.3 is quite a bit later and more featureous than
for IRIX 5.2.

--

millihamlet: the average coherency of prose created by a single monkey
typing randomly on a keyboard. Usenet postings may be rated in mHl.

1. 4.0.5 -> 5.2 Indy binary compat problem - & fix

Recently on our cluster of 14 Indigo-type R4k systems and 1 Indy R4600,
we experienced a problem with 'whois'.  This whois was compiled
previously on an Indigo under 4.0.5, and worked just fine under 5.2 with
all of our Indigos.

However, when we tried to run whois on the Indy, it refused to resolve the
"whois.internic.net" hostname correctly.  After much hair-pulling and
double-checking of the /etc/resolv.conf file, which was identical to the
resolv.conf's on the other Indigos, we recompiled whois for 5.2, and it
worked fine.  End of story.

(BTW, all of our other 4.0.5 executables have worked fine under 5.2,
although we have embarked on a systematic-recompile jihad to bring them
all up to 5.2)

In case anyone out there wants to know what we did and where we got it from:

FTP whois.c from ftp.std.com:/src/network/lookup
cc -O -c whois.c
ld whois.o -s -lc
mv a.out whois

--

  "A statement of fact cannot be insolent." - Orac, Blake's 7

2. How to play a sound on the pc speaker with a specific length and pitch?

3. Computer Memory Upgrades>>>>>>>>>>>

4. ADSP 2105

5. IRIX 5.2 -> 5.3 : CDROM doesn't mount

6. Proaudio spectrum and NEC CDR-55JD

7. Fresh:>> Non>>AOL>> Addresses>> Reasonable Price>>

8. IIe, Hard Drive, PRODOS, etc

9. Upgrade IRIX 5.2->5.3 Screws-up Mail

10. Funny window goings-on after 5.2 -> 5.3 upgrade.

11. 5.2->5.3 Error: Undefined: ...

12. 5.2 ==> 5.3 UPGRADE QUESTIONS