Remote control from Onyx to 1inch Sony videorecorder

Remote control from Onyx to 1inch Sony videorecorder

Post by Laurent Moccoz » Wed, 22 Dec 1993 21:23:47

I have an Onyx and a 1inch Sony videorecorder (BVH-2550P). I'd like to
'remote control' the videorecorder from the Onyx, mainly to record frame
by frame a pre-computed animation.
Could anyone give me informations on both software and hardware required ?
--
----

Remote control from Onyx to 1inch Sony videorecorder

Post by Paul Spenc » Thu, 23 Dec 1993 06:42:00

Quote:> I have an Onyx and a 1inch Sony videorecorder (BVH-2550P). I'd like to
> 'remote control' the videorecorder from the Onyx, mainly to record frame
> by frame a pre-computed animation.
> Could anyone give me informations on both software and hardware required ?

Hardware: you need an RS-422 port on your Onyx, and a cable.

Software: you need to write some custom control software. Details on the
remote control protocol are available from Sony. I haven't heard of any
commercially available programs to do this.

An alternative method is to purchase a edit controller from a company like
Lyon Lamb, Videomedia, or others. You control their box by standard commands,
and then their box controls the tape deck(s). This allows you to change
your tape deck without changing your software.

....paul

--
Paul Spencer                 Silicon Graphics Advanced Graphics Division

Post by Kipp Aldri » Fri, 24 Dec 1993 00:23:49

>> I have an Onyx and a 1inch Sony videorecorder (BVH-2550P). I'd like to
>> 'remote control' the videorecorder from the Onyx, mainly to record frame
>> by frame a pre-computed animation.
>> Could anyone give me informations on both software and hardware required ?

>Hardware: you need an RS-422 port on your Onyx, and a cable.

>Software: you need to write some custom control software. Details on the
>remote control protocol are available from Sony. I haven't heard of any
>commercially available programs to do this.

>An alternative method is to purchase a edit controller from a company like
>Lyon Lamb, Videomedia, or others. You control their box by standard commands,
>and then their box controls the tape deck(s). This allows you to change
>your tape deck without changing your software.

>....paul

VTR control code adhering to Sony BVW protocol (easily adapted to 1") is freely
available from mit media lab anon ftp.  This will require considerable modi-
fication but the basics are all there.

Be aware that 38400 baud operations on an SGI serial port can leave you
very frustrated.  Editing single frames to a standard VTR can be tricky
without frame synchronization.  If you are using one of the Sony
"park and record" 1" machines you may have excellent luck.

Hope this helps...

kipp...

--

     Chief Engineer                   (409)845-3465
Visualization Laboratory

Post by Paul Bruggem » Sun, 26 Dec 1993 07:36:47

>> I have an Onyx and a 1inch Sony videorecorder (BVH-2550P). I'd like to
>> 'remote control' the videorecorder from the Onyx, mainly to record frame
>> by frame a pre-computed animation.
>> Could anyone give me informations on both software and hardware required ?

>Hardware: you need an RS-422 port on your Onyx, and a cable.

>Software: you need to write some custom control software. Details on the
>remote control protocol are available from Sony. I haven't heard of any
>commercially available programs to do this.

>An alternative method is to purchase a edit controller from a company like
>Lyon Lamb, Videomedia, or others. You control their box by standard commands,
>and then their box controls the tape deck(s). This allows you to change
>your tape deck without changing your software.

>....paul

>--
>Paul Spencer                 Silicon Graphics Advanced Graphics Division

 There is a company called SoftVTR that offers software VTR control for SGI's.
You probably need a 232->422 black box that converts the signals.
A company call 'Black box' offers these. You will
need (at least) a rgb->ntsc converter to take the output of the SGI
(after you have run the appropriate setmon command) and dump it to the
SONY. I have info for this at my office but I won't be back till the 31st.

 Paul

1. How to remote control a DVW-500 SONY VTR?

Hi,

        I am trying to control a Sony DVW-500 VTR remotely within a
software using
the REMOTE-1 serial control system from the serial port of a CRIMSON.
I plugged a serial cable from port No. 4 (TTY 4) of the CRIMSON to the
REMOTE-1(IN) serial
port of the VTR, and tried to send command using the REMOTE-1 PROTOCOL.
The VTR never respond to any of my command and I cant read anything from
the serial port. Do I
need to make any special setting to the VTR for this to work?

Has anyone done something similar?

Thank you,

==============================

2. Info wanted on Cisco IGS router......

3. sony remote control

4. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

5. O2 control Sony VCR?

6. Forsale:PC Madden99,NBA Live99,Need For Speed3,NFL Blitz,Brunswick Circuit Pro Bowling,House of the Dead,$17 each

7. FS: V-LAN Transceiver for VTR control of Sony 422 protocol

8. Direct control of Sony monitor

9. Indigo remote control?

10. WTB: Remote control for GDM20D11

11. remote control