Booting 4D/35 with 4D/35 disk?

Post by J.C.Scholte » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Is it possible to boot a 4D/35 from a 4D/25 disk?
I have the following systems:

A working 4D/25
A non booting 4D/35 (corrupt harddisk?) with password on PROM.

If possible, I want to boot the 4D/35 somehow and disable the
PROM password. Then do a new install on the 4D/35.
I tried dissconnecting the battery, but probably did forget to
disconnect the 220V power cable (system switched off). Because
this did not work.

Please help.

Thanks,
Johan Scholten

Booting 4D/35 with 4D/35 disk?

Post by Walter Robers » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

:Is it possible to boot a 4D/35 from a 4D/25 disk?
:I have the following systems:
:A working 4D/25
:A non booting 4D/35 (corrupt harddisk?) with password on PROM.
:If possible, I want to boot the 4D/35 somehow and disable the
:PROM password. Then do a new install on the 4D/35.

No and Yes. No, you can't do it directly (e.g. by inserting the
4D/25 hard disk into the 4D/35.) Yes, you can do it indirectly, but it's
a pain.

Probably the easiest approach is to take the harddisk out of the 4D/35 and
add it as a second drive onto the 4D/25. Start up the 4D/25 normally,
and use it's root to partition and mkfs the 4D/35 disk as appropriate.
Also use dvhtool on the 4D/25 to add /stand/sash to the 4D/35 disk's
volume header. Mount the root and usr filesystem of the 4D/35 as (say)
/4d35 and /4d35/usr

Then, on the 4D/25, start up

inst -r /4d35 -m CPUBOARD=IP12 -m GFXBOARD=ECLIPSE -m SUBGR=ECLIPSE

(I'm assuming here that you have G or TG on the 4D/35 and not Elan.)

Select whatever products you need, and allow the installation to
proceed.

After everything is installed, leave inst, and then execute the command

chroot /4d35 autoconfig

to build the unix kernel for the /4d35 subtree.

Now, swap the 4D35's disk back to the 4D35 machine (after shutting
down the 4D/25 cleanly ;-)  ). Boot through with the new disk on the 4D/35.

When you come up on the new OS on the 4D/35, execute the command

autoconfig -f

to *re*rebuild the kernel, and reboot with that. This is necessary
because the kernel built on the 4D/25 might have the wrong disk references.

Once you are all up and able to log in the 4D35, log in as root and execute
the command

nvram passwd ""

This will clear the PROM password.
--

                 NFS -- putting the 'cult' in 'occult'

Booting 4D/35 with 4D/35 disk?

Post by Dave Ols » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

| Is it possible to boot a 4D/35 from a 4D/25 disk?

No (not without re-install it).

| I have the following systems:
|
| A working 4D/25
| A non booting 4D/35 (corrupt harddisk?) with password on PROM.

So unplug the nvram cable to defeat the prom password.

| If possible, I want to boot the 4D/35 somehow and disable the
| PROM password. Then do a new install on the 4D/35.

Can't do it that way (well, you could, but that's no real help
for most people).

| I tried dissconnecting the battery, but probably did forget to
| disconnect the 220V power cable (system switched off). Because
| this did not work.

Why pull the battery?  That doesn't affect anything on that system.
The only system where the battery affects the prom password is the
crimson, and there you have to leav it off for some time.
--

Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics   Guru and busybody at large

1. Disk drive works fine in 4D/25, SCSI errors in 4D/35

We are trying to install an HP 97549TF disk drive in an Iris 4D/35.  We
formatted the disk in our 4D/25, installed the appropriate (IP12) system, and
moved the disk to the 4D/35.  On powerup, the 4D/35 complains of SCSI errors.
When we return the disk to the 4D/25, it works fine.  Powering up the 4D/35
without a disk produces no SCSI errors, though it obviously does not boot.
Any ideas?  What is different about the SCSI implementation on the 2 machines?

Thanks,

Steven Gaarder                              Network and Systems Administrator

2. A few questions from a GNU Emacs user

3. manued : a proofreading method for electronic documents

4. upgrading a 4d/25 to a 4d/35

5. Running pdf2txt results in core dump

6. FS: SGI Personal IRIS 4D/35 Server & 4D/20 Super

7. hitachi super-h 7707

8. WTB: 4D/30 or 4D/35 CPU card

9. FS: 4D/35 4D/25

10. FS: SGI 4D/35 & 4D/25