Q: setting subnet masks with route(1M)??

Post by Alexis Cousei » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I wish to route IP from an SGI (IRIX 5.3) to a small subnet I have at home,
> where I am using a Linux box as a router to the ethernet there. The home
> ethernet exists in a subnet with mask 255.255.255.192, and I can configure
> the Linux box for this fine.

> I am trying to find a way of setting a static route for that subnet on our
> SGI, so it routes only that subnet down the PPP to my home ethernet, but
> couldn't seem to find any netmask options for route(1M). Linux's route(8)
> has a netmask option which allows this. Is this the right way, or is there
> some subnet I must set on the ppp interface?

> I am currently making it work via a bunch of proxy arps (one for each of the
> home machines) on the SGI, but would like a more elegant (and extensible)
> solution :)

Steve Alexander should be more familiar with this, but you really need the
extensions SGI is *building* in IRIX now (i.e., it's not yet there), and if you
run routed's, you need'em to use RIPv2 (not yet there either).

Coming to an OS near you soon ;).

--
Alexis Cousein
Sales Support Engineer

Q: setting subnet masks with route(1M)??

Post by Alexis Cousei » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > I wish to route IP from an SGI (IRIX 5.3) to a small subnet I have at home,
> > where I am using a Linux box as a router to the ethernet there. The home
> > ethernet exists in a subnet with mask 255.255.255.192, and I can configure
> > the Linux box for this fine.

> > I am trying to find a way of setting a static route for that subnet on our
> > SGI, so it routes only that subnet down the PPP to my home ethernet, but
> > couldn't seem to find any netmask options for route(1M). Linux's route(8)
> > has a netmask option which allows this. Is this the right way, or is there
> > some subnet I must set on the ppp interface?

> > I am currently making it work via a bunch of proxy arps (one for each of the
> > home machines) on the SGI, but would like a more elegant (and extensible)
> > solution :)

> Steve Alexander should be more familiar with this, but you really need the
> extensions SGI is *building* in IRIX now (i.e., it's not yet there), and if you
> run routed's, you need'em to use RIPv2 (not yet there either).

> Coming to an OS near you soon ;).

Just noticed that Steve's posted a response to someone else about this...read all
about it in your favourite archive. Message ID was

--

Post by Brian Murra » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I wish to route IP from an SGI (IRIX 5.3) to a small subnet I have at home,
where I am using a Linux box as a router to the ethernet there. The home
ethernet exists in a subnet with mask 255.255.255.192, and I can configure
the Linux box for this fine.

I am trying to find a way of setting a static route for that subnet on our
SGI, so it routes only that subnet down the PPP to my home ethernet, but
couldn't seem to find any netmask options for route(1M). Linux's route(8)
has a netmask option which allows this. Is this the right way, or is there
some subnet I must set on the ppp interface?

I am currently making it work via a bunch of proxy arps (one for each of the
home machines) on the SGI, but would like a more elegant (and extensible)
solution :)

Thanks in advance...

--
================================ Brian Murray ---------------------------------

Proximity Pty Ltd,  Sydney Australia     Ph +61-2-810-1115   Fax +61-2-810-1318
http://www.proximity.com.au/~brian/ _   _ "AndOr"   "Brianiac"   "Brianosaurus"
===================================|_)-)_>-------------------------------------
"The stuff they call physics, we used to call magic" - Ruby

Q: setting subnet masks with route(1M)??

Post by Steve Alexand » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to find a way of setting a static route for that subnet on our
>SGI, so it routes only that subnet down the PPP to my home ethernet, but
>couldn't seem to find any netmask options for route(1M). Linux's route(8)
>has a netmask option which allows this. Is this the right way, or is there
>some subnet I must set on the ppp interface?

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to do this unless you are running 6.2
or newer.
--
Steve Alexander | Silicon Graphics, Inc.     | +1 (415) 933-6172 (Voice)

1. Subnet masking and routing tables

        HELP!

        I have to subnet the class C IP addresses that Internic gave me,
and now the routing tables are not working.

        Here are the hosts (IP addresses have been changed to protect the
innocent):
#### FDDI net: x.y.6.96, mask 255.255.255.244
x.y.6.97  nui.acme.com nui
x.y.6.98  mau.acme.com mau
#### Enet x.y.7
x.y.7.66  gate-nui.acme.com gate-nui
x.y.7.67  gate-mau.acme.com gate-mau
x.y.7.65  iki.acme.com acme.com iki
#### Enet x.y.6.32, mask 255.255.255.244
x.y.6.34  gate-iki.acme.com gate-iki

        FYI, "gate-iki" will be connected to a router to the Internet.

        On the subnetted interfaces I put "netmask 255.255.255.224" in
/etc/config/ifconfig* files.  I didn't set the broadcast.  Broadcast
(using "ping x.y.6.127" on mau, for example) works fine.

        I have "firewall" (iki) on the x.y.7 & x.y.6.32 nets, and
it has no routes to the FDDI net.  I can't get from "iki to "nui".  I
can get to "gate-nui".  I put a manual route in and it work OK, but that's
a hack.

        Is there something else I have to add to ifconfig/routed?

--

----

2. Return to pirates isle

3. Irix 6.2 Subnet Mask? Help

5. What is the final build of the retail WIn2k?

6. Q: Changing IP # and Subnet Mask

7. Creative Labs 4x IDE cd-rom help??

8. Routing to a subnet...

9. routing between 2 subnets connected via ppp

10. IRIX routed(1M) Vulnerability

11. IRIX 6.4 ioconfig(1M) and disk_bandwidth(1M) Vulnerability

12. IRIX mail(1)/rmail(1M)/sendmail(1M) Security Vulnerabilities