Strange lp owned file...

Post by Huw Lyn » Thu, 14 Jul 1994 12:46:42

NOTE: Please send all replies to either the newsgroups or to

I'm the administrator for our Indigo2 running IRIX5.2. A user (jim) asked me
about a strange file that had appeared in one of his directories that he
couldn't delete. The files is called...

/usr/people/jim/bin/lib/askhuw

(named askhuw to remind himself to ask me about it)
and was owned by the user lp and of the group sys when I first found it.

To try and delete it I su'ed to root and tried a rmdir on it. The error message
was the the directory was not empty (although ls -lAg said it was). Then
I tried changing the ownership to jim, ie,

chown jim.user /usr/people/jim/bin/lib/askhuw

Now ls says the file is,]

drwxr-xr-x    3 jim      user         512 Jul 13 11:09 askhuw

and as either jim or root, rmdir gives the direcotyr not empty
message.

Thinking that the file must be some kind of strange link I tried searching
through the file system to find and files owned by jim that were out of
his area, ie.

(as root)
cd /; find . -user jim -print | more

It found the expected files (in jims area) as well as spewing out a lot of
error messages like

cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/member
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/model
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/pstatus
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/qstatus
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/request
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/log
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/default
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/oldlog
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/outputq
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/activeicons
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/app-defaults
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/seqfile
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/pod
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/settings
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/FIFO
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/SCHEDLOCK
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/gui_interface
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/rwho
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lpd
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/printers
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/adm
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/mail
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/preserve
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/tmp
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/cron
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/inst
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/X11
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/arch
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/config
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/opt
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/statmon
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/sysgen
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/boot
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/sysadmdesktop
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/Cadmin
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/saf
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/yp
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/var/tmp_rex
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/share
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/cpu
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/Cadmin
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/ToolTalk
No such file or directory
cannot stat ./usr/sysgen.O

(many more follow, some in / such as ./.varupdate)

I'm lost. I'm not experienced enough to know the best way to go
from here. I tried rebooting hoping that the file system check during
reboot would either find problems or even fix them but nothing is
reported.

Has anyone seen this problem before and can anyone suggest a way to fix
my file system?

Please help,
Huw *

mail will bounce from the poster.

Strange lp owned file...

Post by Dave Ols » Fri, 15 Jul 1994 17:13:28

| NOTE: Please send all replies to either the newsgroups or to

| I'm the administrator for our Indigo2 running IRIX5.2. A user (jim) asked me
| about a strange file that had appeared in one of his directories that he
| couldn't delete. The files is called...
|
| /usr/people/jim/bin/lib/askhuw
|
| (named askhuw to remind himself to ask me about it)
| and was owned by the user lp and of the group sys when I first found it.
|
| To try and delete it I su'ed to root and tried a rmdir on it. The error message
| was the the directory was not empty (although ls -lAg said it was). Then
| I tried changing the ownership to jim, ie,

Somehow a hard link has been made to /usr/spool/lp, from the symptoms.

In 5.2, a bug for some other problems keeps any directory with a link
count greater than 2 from being removed.  You will remove
all the contents of /usr/spool/lp, if you do a rm -rf...

On at least one system I looked at, clri won't clear the inode either
(even if the fileystem is unmounted), so at the moment, you are
stuck with the linked directory; I'd move it to /usr and rename it
such that you know what it is, and don't try an rm -rf on it
again.

| cd /; find . -user jim -print | more
|
| It found the expected files (in jims area) as well as spewing out a lot of
| error messages like
|
| cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/member
| No such file or directory
| cannot stat ./usr/var/spool/lp/model
| No such file or directory

This is typical when the .. entry doesn't match the way find descended
into a dir; it gets lost.

1. Strange lp problem after IP address change

I changed the IP address of my O200 about a week ago and since then I've
found that I'm unable to print to any of my remote printers that use the
BSD 'lpd' protocol.  I've confirmed both that the new address is allowed
by the remote printers/machines to print, and even that I can, in fact,
print to them using a small program I've built that speaks the lpd protocol
from my O200.

The only trace of any diagnostics that I get is the following in
/var/spool/lp/log:

laserjet4-3523  tls     laserjet4       Aug 16 10:07
netprint: this command for use only by LP Administrators

Any ideas?

--

        "And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"

2. Planetarium

3. ******** OWN YOU OWN INTERNET BUSINESS *******

4. NCB.receive.any timeouts in Warp Server for eBusiness

5. Playing .au files on Indigo w/ own program

6. pagefile.sys

7. ftp creates root-owned files - 2nd try

8. SPSS Output

9. qpopper error: -ERR System error, can't open temporary file, do you own it?

10. System files owned by diag and can't change them

11. creating my own dist files for swmgr or inst

12. ftp creates root-owned files

13. Strange YUV image files...