Formatting a non-sgi drive in irix

Post by tf.. » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I working with irix 6.2.  Does anyone know the steps for formatting/
initializing a non-sgi manufacture drive on a sgi?

I know that you have to use fx and dvhtool but I am not sure the order.

Thanks in Advance

Teresa Feck

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Walter Robers » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

:I working with irix 6.2.  Does anyone know the steps for formatting/
:initializing a non-sgi manufacture drive on a sgi?

Same as you would use for an SGI drive.

:I know that you have to use fx and dvhtool but I am not sure the order.

fx first. You don't need to use dvhtool at all unless you need to make
the drive bootable. [If you do, then you need to write sash to the
drive volume directory.] You can use dvhtool before or after you mkfs .

Formatting a non-sgi drive in irix

Post by david_demart.. » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Sadly, not all drives work on all SGI systems (SGI sold or not).  If you
can see it in hinv, there is a good start.  Next try fx.  If fx can
PARTITION the drive (only format a drive if you really like to start
trouble, there is the possibly of rendering a drive nearly useless on
SGI machines by executing a FORMAT), in theory you should be able to use
it, once you creat the filesystem, and mount it.

This, however, has not always worked in practice, and a drive that
worked on one of my SGI machines, does not always work on others (INDY
machines seem to be particularly sensetive).

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

- David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/