Application to format/read/write Macintosh Disks

Application to format/read/write Macintosh Disks

Post by James Pinak » Thu, 01 Sep 1994 10:18:51

I'm curios to know if there is a Linux application which will format, read
and write Macintosh disks.  I understand that there is some kind of fundamental
incompatability between the two kinds of drives, but I desperately need to
transfer some files between the two and don't have easy access to a Macintosh.

Any help at all would be most appreciated...

james

Post by Orhan Un » Thu, 01 Sep 1994 12:55:17

>I'm curios to know if there is a Linux application which will format, read
>and write Macintosh disks.  I understand that there is some kind of fundamental
>incompatability between the two kinds of drives, but I desperately need to
>transfer some files between the two and don't have easy access to a Macintosh.

>Any help at all would be most appreciated...

>james

Well, Linux is capable of only reading Mac high density disks via its
HFS filesystem, but can't write Mac disks.

Hope this helps.

Post by Jonathan Mag » Fri, 02 Sep 1994 01:41:05

>I'm curios to know if there is a Linux application which will format, read
>and write Macintosh disks.  I understand that there is some kind of fundamental
>incompatability between the two kinds of drives, but I desperately need to
>transfer some files between the two and don't have easy access to a Macintosh.

The program is on sunsite.unc.edu in
/pub/Linux/utils/disk-management/xhfs0_3.tgz.  It will read and write
HFS (144meg) disks.

jem.
--

Post by Holger Dunkel U » Fri, 02 Sep 1994 00:59:27

>I'm curios to know if there is a Linux application which will format, read
>and write Macintosh disks.  I understand that there is some kind of fundamental
>incompatability between the two kinds of drives, but I desperately need to
>transfer some files between the two and don't have easy access to a Macintosh.

Several solutions:
- use xhfs to read data from Apple 1.44 MB HFS floppies (no write so far as
I  know)
- use mtools to exchange data on DOS formatted flopies, and
  Dosmounter, PCexchange or the Convert-Program included in the System 7
  distrubution.
- use tar, eg. "tar -cvf /def/fd0 " on LINUX and the SunTar - program
  on the MAC. (Nothig to do with SUN, its related to the authors name).
  Advantage: you can keep the long file names.

hope this helps
        Holger Dunkel

--
Holger Dunkel | Bunsenstr. 13-15 | 37073 Goettingen/Germany

Application to format/read/write Macintosh Disks

Post by Sam Oscar Lantin » Sat, 03 Sep 1994 07:55:07

: 19:14:48 luna: ~/SRC/hfs0_3$ ./hfs ls /dev/fd0H1440
: error: cannot open the device "a:" for use as a Macintosh volume

        hfs needs to be suid root.
(I think it needs write permission to the drive)

-Sam

Post by Karl Eichwald » Sat, 03 Sep 1994 02:26:00

> - use xhfs to read data from Apple 1.44 MB HFS floppies (no write so far as
> I  know)

hfs tells me:

19:14:48 luna: ~/SRC/hfs0_3$ ./hfs ls /dev/fd0H1440
error: cannot open the device "a:" for use as a Macintosh volume

Any clue?

The floppy drive blinks for a short time, so I am sure, that hfs finds
the device and of course I have inserted a Macintosh HD floppy.

--

Karl Eichwalder         | 2:2437/209                  |     (*)/'(*)

Post by Phil Hugh » Sat, 03 Sep 1994 22:18:24

: >I'm curios to know if there is a Linux application which will format, read
: >and write Macintosh disks.  I understand that there is some kind of fundamental
: >incompatability between the two kinds of drives, but I desperately need to
: >transfer some files between the two and don't have easy access to a Macintosh.

: Several solutions:
: - use xhfs to read data from Apple 1.44 MB HFS floppies (no write so far as
: I  know)
: - use mtools to exchange data on DOS formatted flopies, and
:   Dosmounter, PCexchange or the Convert-Program included in the System 7
:   distrubution.

What we need to do is at least read Syquest 88MB cartridges written by a
MAC.  xhfs only does floppies and, according to our Mac person, a PowerMac
will not write DOS format stuff on a Syquest (just on floppies).  Can
anyone confirm this or offer an alternative?  This just because real
important since we converted our office to a network of Linux systems and
just leased an imagesetter that will be connected to a Linux system.
--
Phil Hughes, Publisher, Linux Journal (206) 527-3385

Application to format/read/write Macintosh Disks

Post by Marc Fraio » Sun, 04 Sep 1994 02:27:05

Quote:>: 19:14:48 luna: ~/SRC/hfs0_3$ ./hfs ls /dev/fd0H1440
>: error: cannot open the device "a:" for use as a Macintosh volume

>    hfs needs to be suid root.
>(I think it needs write permission to the drive)

I had been running it as root, but I had had the write protect set.  I
unset it, and now it appears to work.  Thanks.

---
Marc Fraioli          | "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "