conf.modules & modules.conf

Post by Andrew Ellingto » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I've seen reference to both modules.conf and conf.modules files in HOWTOs
and newsgroup discussions.

Are these files the same thing for different distributions or what is going
on?

Thanks

Andrew

conf.modules & modules.conf

Post by Andy Wallac » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I've seen reference to both modules.conf and conf.modules files in HOWTOs
> and newsgroup discussions.

> Are these files the same thing for different distributions or what is
going
> on?

> Thanks

> Andrew

They are the same thing, but the use of conf.modules is now (since the
introduction of the 2.2.x kernels) deprecated. You should be using
modules.conf if you've got a 2.2.0 or newer kernel.

conf.modules still works, but won't forever.

Andy

conf.modules & modules.conf

Post by Krzys Majewsk » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Yes, they are the same thing. -chris

conf.modules & modules.conf

Post by Stuart Brad » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>They are the same thing, but the use of conf.modules is now (since the
>introduction of the 2.2.x kernels) deprecated. You should be using
>modules.conf if you've got a 2.2.0 or newer kernel.
>conf.modules still works, but won't forever.

Don't think that you can just rename conf.modules to modules.conf and
expect eveything to work properly, though. Some init scripts and setup
tools that haven't been changed yet will need to use to "conf.modules",
and updated programs/scripts will want "modules.conf" -- in that case,
you will need to make a symbolic link from one name to the other.
--
Stuart Brady

1. conf.modules vs. modules.conf & modules.dep??

Just upgraded my RH6.2 box to kernel 2.2.18 (in conjunction with
applying vpn masq patch).  Now I notice that it complains about
conf.modules, so I renamed this to conf.modules.old and made a copy as
modules.conf.  Now it complains that modules.conf is newer than
modules.dep.  And, in any case, it doesn't seem to load my modules
(specifically 3c509.o for ethernet).

My present workaround is just to manually invoke this module (modprobe
3c509) and restart /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (as well as dhcpd and
named), but I know there's gotta be a "Right Way" of doing this.

What's different between 2.2.18 and my old kernel (2.2.14-5.0) in
terms of handling these files?  And, more importantly, how do I
correct this situation?  Many thanks, in advance.

2. Networking not working (irq problem?)

3. Diff b/t conf.modules and modules.conf

4. WTMP FILE

5. deleted isapnp.conf and conf.modules

6. Checking for old accounts

7. Include conf/addon-modules/midgardphp3.conf

8. Threads don't release memory

9. editing modules.conf to load sound driver modules

10. Note: conf.modules more recent that /usr/src/linux*/modules.dep message

11. ppp module in conf.modules

12. serial module options for conf.modules

13. SCSI module insert using /etc/conf.modules problem