how to move linux from one hd to another

how to move linux from one hd to another

Post by mini01.vejlees.dk!inf94.. » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I need to move my linux partition ( 300 MB) to a new hd ( 520 MB ). How
is this done. What about the problem with 1024 cyl.? The old hd should be
used for DOS.

Jonas

how to move linux from one hd to another

Post by osheroff%netcom.com%f41.n109.z1.h » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: I need to move my linux partition ( 300 MB) to a new hd ( 520 MB ). How
: is this done. What about the problem with 1024 cyl.? The old hd should be
: used for DOS.

There's plently of different methods to do this.

Here's how I just did it:

1) Made linux partition w/ fdisk.

2) formatted the hd, using the slackware root disks.  (This is probably
unneccesary)

3) ran mke2fs on the partition.

4) mounted it under /mnt

5) ran "cp -a /mnt /"

There should be no 1024 cyl problem on a 520 MB harddrive.
--
Oh well, what the hell, (sang McWatt)
_________________________________

how to move linux from one hd to another

Post by osheroff%netcom.com%f41.n109.z1.h » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: I need to move my linux partition ( 300 MB) to a new hd ( 520 MB ). How
: is this done. What about the problem with 1024 cyl.? The old hd should be
: used for DOS.

There's plently of different methods to do this.

Here's how I just did it:

1) Made linux partition w/ fdisk.

2) formatted the hd, using the slackware root disks.  (This is probably
unneccesary)

3) ran mke2fs on the partition.

4) mounted it under /mnt

5) ran "cp -a /mnt /"

There should be no 1024 cyl problem on a 520 MB harddrive.
--
Oh well, what the hell, (sang McWatt)
_________________________________

1. how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Hello

My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
because of its tree-like file structure.
If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

thanx a lot

Patrick

2. HELP: WD Ethernet cards

3. moving linux from one hd to another

4. FS: Cray 56k CSU/DSU - $100

5. Moving Linux from one HD to other

6. Right Channel Only on my Soundblaster!?

7. moving Linux, as a whole, from one HD to a new one

8. Remote printing problems under AIX 4.3.2

9. Moving from one HD to another...

10. Move OpenBSD from one hd to another (different size)

11. Linux: two 540 Mb HD or one 1GB HD

12. Dos/os2/Linux and 2 hd's one 850, and one 425

13. Moving my running X app from one server to one other?