Running linux on an AMD chip.

Post by Do » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know if there are any problems running Linux on an AMD
system?  I would like to run Linux on an AMD K5-133 chip because it is
cheaper than it's Pentium counterpart.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Don

Running linux on an AMD chip.

Post by Tim Litt » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>Does anyone know if there are any problems running Linux on an AMD
>system?  I would like to run Linux on an AMD K5-133 chip because it is
>cheaper than it's Pentium counterpart.

>Any info would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,

>-Don

All reports are that the K5 line lives up to its claim that it is 100
percent Intel compatible. As for myself, my Am5x86-133 runs Linux like
a champ.

TL

Running linux on an AMD chip.

Post by Jack » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>All reports are that the K5 line lives up to its claim that it is 100
>percent Intel compatible. As for myself, my Am5x86-133 runs Linux like
>a champ.

I can confirm this.  I have three AMD based machines; 2 x K5-PR133 and
1 x 5x86 133.

The 5x86 I run as a server.  It's been running for 87 days without a
problem.

--
        So long and thanks for all the fish ...

                      -= Jacko =-
                  Galactic Traveller
      The UK Resource for Interstellar PBEM Games
       http://www.jacobean.demon.co.uk/gtrav.html

Running linux on an AMD chip.

Post by Thorsten Bucks » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>Does anyone know if there are any problems running Linux on an AMD
>system?  I would like to run Linux on an AMD K5-133 chip because it is
>cheaper than it's Pentium counterpart.

>Any info would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,

>-Don

Don't worry. Just try it. I am running Linux on a K5-133 and it is
working very fine. One of my personal benchmark programs showed me,
that it is only 30% slower as a Ultra Sparc (I was very surprised to
see this).

So, regarding the price a K5 with Linux is the best compromise you can
get (this is just my very personal opinion).

cu

Thorsten

Running linux on an AMD chip.

Post by david parso » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>>Does anyone know if there are any problems running Linux on an AMD
>>system?  I would like to run Linux on an AMD K5-133 chip because it is
>>cheaper than it's Pentium counterpart.

>  The AMD K5 is 80521 compatable.

   Ooops.  s/80521/80502/.

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ Damn Intel for changing the numbering scheme and
                  \/              giving the chips trade names as well.

Running linux on an AMD chip.

Post by Mark Hawke » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to run Linux on an AMD K5-133 chip because it
>is cheaper than it's Pentium counterpart.
>>   The AMD K5 is 80521 compatable.

Can the same be said for the new AMD K6 MMX CPU? Anyone had experience
of running Linux with this chip?

        -Marco

Running linux on an AMD chip.

Post by david parso » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>>I would like to run Linux on an AMD K5-133 chip because it
>>is cheaper than it's Pentium counterpart.

>>>   The AMD K5 is 80521 compatable.

>Can the same be said for the new AMD K6 MMX CPU? Anyone had experience
>of running Linux with this chip?

   Yes, it works just as well as the K5.

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ and they're now as cheap as 80521s.
                  \/

1. Will Linux run under an AMD chip?

I'm thinking about getting a new motherboard with an AMD 5x86/133
setting.  Anyone know of any problems that Linux might have with an AMD
CPU or will it run fine?  Let me know.
Kerry

--

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Kerry J. Cox

http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/lss/staff/kerry/index.html
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. freeBSD vs Linux when you cluster it!

3. AMD Chips w/ Linux

4. How can I check if IP forwarding is working/enabled?

5. Linux router on Am29200-16 AMD chip

6. DOSEMU mouse problem

7. AMD K6 chip and Linux

8. Green-PC disk doesn't powerdown with Linux: why?

9. How to install Linux Redhad 5.2 on a comp with a AMD K6 II chip

10. AMD-K6-2 chips and Linux

11. AMD chip with Linux?

12. linux driver for AMD's pcNet-FAST III chip?

13. AMD, Intel actively court Linux community to support 64 bit chips