Add: How to add a terminal to serial port

Add: How to add a terminal to serial port

Post by Marko Kaeni » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi again,

Ahh, the Terminal PC shows during booting the text which is sent
to him (/etc/issue), but there is no real response from the Linux
PC, since although all characters typed in are echoed no reaction
from the Linux machine follows.

I forgot to explain that the setting in /etc/initab was set to

s1:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0

A bit strange is the s1-S0 combination, but I don't know whether
this is the reason... It looks like there is no influence on the
system, if I set it to s0-S0 or s1-S1.

any suggestions?

Frank & Marko

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: s1:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0

Haven't you tried:

: s1:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty -h -L 9600 ttyS0

If not, you should!

--
                        Kalevi J Hautaniemi
Marjatankatu 12       |tel: +358-31-364-7446          |fax: +358-31-364-2476

FINLAND               |http://www.sci.fi/~khmi/       |On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC

Post by Darcy Boe » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: s1:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0

: A bit strange is the s1-S0 combination, but I don't know whether
: this is the reason... It looks like there is no influence on the
: system, if I set it to s0-S0 or s1-S1.

Try using 'cua0' instead of 'ttyS0'.  I've got a WYSE/60 terminal*
off the first serial port, and it doesn't work if I use 'ttyS0'.

At least you've probably got the right cable.  :^)  My terminal needed
to use a null-modem for some reason..  anything else resulted in garbage
on the screen..

--

the *official* roadkill on the i-way | http://www.veryComputer.com/~possum/columns
--

1. Adding terminal via serial port

If I had a DOS PC (386, 4Mb) attached to a Linux PC (Celeron 333, 128Mb)via
null modem and I had suitable software on the DOS PC, how can I set it up as
another terminal for Linux? I know it's something to do with gettty, but
that's all I know.

Also, could someone point me in the appropriate direction of the software
for the DOS machine. (Yes, I know this is a Linux newsgroup, but it's
related to Linux). I want to do as much as possible without really caring
about program size or speed (mouse, graphics if possible (via X)).

--
Paul Evans

ICQ number: 4135350

2. Please help with UUCP connection

3. Redhat 7.1 - Using an ADDS serial terminal as console during boot

4. Booting to a runlevel

5. need help with linux setup for adding serial terminal and modem on IPX

6. best way to shutdown

7. adding serial ports to rs/6000

8. Driver for 3Com 900

9. XENIX... adding extra serial ports?

10. HELP -- Sol 2.6 x86 -- How do I add extra serial ports

11. What's the best way to add 6-8 serial ports to a Linux box?

12. adding serial ports

13. Add support for HP Diva serial ports