Token Ring Support

Post by Marcus Wir » Thu, 06 Apr 1995 04:00:00

---------

I've tried to contact Peter De Schrijver (one of the authors of the driver)
about this, but his EMail address seems to have gone...

Well, here's my problem:

I'm trying to set up networking with our Token Ring 16/4 Adapters connected
to a 16Mbps ring but wasn't successful.

While booting Linux displays the following information about my adapter:

tr0: mmio segment : 000dc000
tr0: ibmtr.c:v1.1.36 8/7/94 Peter De Schrijver and Mark Swanson
tr0: ti.global_int_enable: 02F2
tr0: ti.mmio=000dc000, irq=9, segment=B8.
tr0: hw address: 01 00 00 00 05 0A 0F 0F 0F 08 05 07
tr0: atype=e, drate=d, trel=d, asram=63K, srp=e, 4mb hdb=d, 16mb hdb=b
tr0: shared ram page size: 32
tr0: Using 16K shared RAM
tr0: resetting card
tr0: card reset
tr0: Tok_init_card executed.

The adapter is found and the displayed informations seem to be correct.
When the kernel tries to establish a connection to the network it doesn't
succeed:

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Try again
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

I have tried the following /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:

#! /bin/sh
#
# rc.inet1      This shell script boots up the base INET system.
#

#

HOSTNAME=`cat /etc/HOSTNAME`

# Attach the loopback device.
/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
/sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0

IPADDR="128.127.50.28"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
NETWORK="128.127.50.0"
BROADCAST="128.127.50.255"

# Uncomment ONLY ONE of the three lines below. If one doesn't work, try again.

/sbin/ifconfig tr0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}
#/sbin/ifconfig tr0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
#/sbin/ifconfig tr0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK}

# Uncomment these to set up your IP routing table.
/sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK}
/sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

# End of rc.inet1

-------------------------------------

The above addresses and masks are correct (they work with PCTCP).

Do I have to set any options?
Doesn't the driver work properly with the 16/4 Adapter running at 16Mbps?
What else am I doing wrong?
Is it a bug fixed in a later version?
I'm stuck!

Thanks in advance

Marcus

Token Ring Support

Post by John Paul Morris » Fri, 07 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>---------

>I've tried to contact Peter De Schrijver (one of the authors of the driver)
>about this, but his EMail address seems to have gone...

>Well, here's my problem:

>I'm trying to set up networking with our Token Ring 16/4 Adapters connected
>to a 16Mbps ring but wasn't successful.

>The adapter is found and the displayed informations seem to be correct.
>When the kernel tries to establish a connection to the network it doesn't
>succeed:

>SIOCSIFFLAGS: Try again

I think this is a problem with ifconfig. What happens if you try to
ifconfig tr0 manually? I think the tr0 interface isn't getting
configured, so then you can't add the routes. It may be because of a
hardware IRQ conflict or DMA etc. I've never used a token ring board
but the error is the same as with ethernet cards.