Replacement for 'find'?

Post by aar.. » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

 Does anyone know of a better utility than the stock 'find' command? I'm
trying to get find to make a file listing while omitting certain directories
and files and it just doesnt seem to work and I can find zero help on this
particular functionality of find despit coming through the oreilly books, man
pages, and google.
 Does anyone know of a replacement for find that maybe a bit more useful or
intuitive? Thanks..

This is what I'm trying to do:
/bin/nice /usr/bin/find / -mtime -3 -print -path /proc -o -name 'kcore*'
-prune> /root/backupfiles

 ..aiming to get a listing of all files omitting the /proc files and the
"kcore" file..

Aaron Price
American Association of Variable Star Observers, www.aavso.org
"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Roald Dahl

Replacement for 'find'?

Post by Frank Mil » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Does anyone know of a better utility than the stock 'find' command? I'm
>trying to get find to make a file listing while omitting certain directories
>and files and it just doesnt seem to work and I can find zero help on this
>particular functionality of find despit coming through the oreilly books, man
>pages, and google.
> Does anyone know of a replacement for find that maybe a bit more useful or
>intuitive? Thanks..

>This is what I'm trying to do:
>/bin/nice /usr/bin/find / -mtime -3 -print -path /proc -o -name 'kcore*'
>-prune> /root/backupfiles

> ..aiming to get a listing of all files omitting the /proc files and the
>"kcore" file..

>Aaron Price
>American Association of Variable Star Observers, www.aavso.org
>"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Roald Dahl

How about piping the results through 'grep -v /proc' ?

        -frank

--

Replacement for 'find'?

Post by Paul Kimo » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>  Does anyone know of a better utility than the stock 'find' command? I'm
> trying to get find to make a file listing while omitting certain directories
> and files and it just doesnt seem to work and I can find zero help on this
> particular functionality of find despit coming through the oreilly books, man
> pages, and google.

Have you studied the `find' info pages?  That is where GNU find is
documented.

Quote:> This is what I'm trying to do:
> /bin/nice /usr/bin/find / -mtime -3 -print -path /proc -o -name 'kcore*' \
> -prune> /root/backupfiles

Don't you mean something more like "-path /proc -prune -o -print"?
(The only kcore on my system is in /proc anyway.)  Warning: I have never
used "-prune".

Quote:>  Does anyone know of a replacement for find that maybe a bit more useful or
> intuitive? Thanks..

If you write Perl, then you might try find2perl.

--

Replacement for 'find'?

Post by Dan Merc » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>  Does anyone know of a better utility than the stock 'find' command? I'm
> trying to get find to make a file listing while omitting certain directories
> and files and it just doesnt seem to work and I can find zero help on this
> particular functionality of find despit coming through the oreilly books, man
> pages, and google.
>  Does anyone know of a replacement for find that maybe a bit more useful or
> intuitive? Thanks..

> This is what I'm trying to do:
> /bin/nice /usr/bin/find / -mtime -3 -print -path /proc -o -name 'kcore*'
> -prune> /root/backupfiles

>  ..aiming to get a listing of all files omitting the /proc files and the
> "kcore" file..

> Aaron Price
> American Association of Variable Star Observers, www.aavso.org
> "We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Roald Dahl

Ftwalk - find on steroids.  Very awkish.  Don't leave $HOME without it.

   http://www.ocston.org/~thull/ftwalk/

--
Dan Mercer

Replacement for 'find'?

Post by Alan Donova » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> This is what I'm trying to do:
> /bin/nice /usr/bin/find / -mtime -3 -print -path /proc -o -name 'kcore*'
> -prune> /root/backupfiles

>  ..aiming to get a listing of all files omitting the /proc files and the
> "kcore" file..

Try:

find / \( -path /proc -prune \) -o -print

BTW, isn't kcore in /proc anyway?

Yes find seems arcane but as with all UNIX tools, you only have to learn
it once.

alan

  Imerge Ltd.      +44 1223 875265

Replacement for 'find'?

Post by Lee All » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I agree with the answer to pipe it into grep: that's what I always do,
and the resulting combination is very powerful & flexible.

Another common 'find' option is -mount, which tells it to exclude
'other' filesystems.  This would exclude /proc because it's another
filesystem.  I generally include -mount because it avoids the SLOW
process of searching through any remote (NFS) filesystems I may have
mounted, a CD-ROM drive, etc.

> Does anyone know of a better utility than the stock 'find' command? I'm
>trying to get find to make a file listing while omitting certain directories
>and files and it just doesnt seem to work and I can find zero help on this
>particular functionality of find despit coming through the oreilly books, man
>pages, and google.
> Does anyone know of a replacement for find that maybe a bit more useful or
>intuitive? Thanks..

>This is what I'm trying to do:
>/bin/nice /usr/bin/find / -mtime -3 -print -path /proc -o -name 'kcore*'
>-prune> /root/backupfiles

> ..aiming to get a listing of all files omitting the /proc files and the
>"kcore" file..

>Aaron Price
>American Association of Variable Star Observers, www.aavso.org
>"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Roald Dahl

1. 'Find' 'Updatedb' or find database replacement for Solaris 2.X?

        I've grown to love the SunOS 4.1.3 /usr/lib/updatedb,
        but it's not in Solaris 2.X. Anyone know where I can
        find a 2.X replacement. Archie was not able to :-(

                        Tanks

                                                Tim

2. ftp and telnet from windows 98 to redhat linux

3. Why did 'nobody' do a 'find'

4. ksh command question

5. KDE Failes to find '__ti6QFrame' in 'ld-elf.so.1' on FreeBSD

6. Tiny X-Server for embedded use

7. Sting search w/o 'find' or 'du'

8. aha152x sg scsi_mod agfa_snapscan 1236 xsane

9. Who is 'nobody' and why 'find'

10. New kernel stops booting at ''finding module dependencies''

11. where can I find source for 'dd' and 'tar'??

12. Combining 'find' and 'grep' or searching in general

13. 'find' with 'millisec' granular level??