Errors from RPM when erasing packages

Post by Simon Andrew » Thu, 23 May 2002 16:32:49

Hi there,

I'm getting a series of errors out of rpm (on RedHat 7.1) when I
uninstall packages.

error: cannot open Dirnames index using db3 - No such file or directory
(2)
error: cannot open Requireversion index using db3 - No such file or
directory (2)
error: cannot open Provideversion index using db3 - No such file or
directory (2)
error: cannot open Installtid index using db3 - No such file or
directory (2)
error: cannot open Sigmd5 index using db3 - No such file or directory
(2)
error: cannot open Filemd5s index using db3 - No such file or directory
(2)

Despite these, the database seems to be working, in as much as the
package has been removed...

package fetchmailconf is not installed

... and dependencies are still being recognised when I try to uninstall
other packages.  I have previously removed packages through rpm without
these errors, but there have been several up2date updates since then
(possibly including rpm itself). I haven't seen any errors when updating
packages through up2date.

I've found a couple of other references to these messages on the net,
but only as questions, no answers!

Is this something I should worry about?  Would 'rpm -rebuild' do any
harm?  Any other suggestions?

Any help is appreciated.

Simon.

1. How to restore erased rpm data (rpm -e rpm)

Like an idiot while trying to upgrade rpm I first did

   rpm -e rpm

which of course removed rpm from my system and as far as
I can tell all the data regarding previously installed rpms.

I managed to get an rpm binary running but I don't
have the rpm data (?), so when I try something like this

   rpm -i rpm-3.0.4-0.48.i386.rpm

I get this

        gawk   is needed by rpm-3.0.4-0.48
        fileutils   is needed by rpm-3.0.4-0.48
        textutils   is needed by rpm-3.0.4-0.48
        sh-utils   is needed by rpm-3.0.4-0.48

I guess I need to rebuild my rpm database.
Any ideas on how to patch this up or am I screwed?

BTW the box runs RedHat 6.0 i386

Thanks in advance.

2. Memory cards 595 -> 397

3. error:cannot open..../rpm/packages.rpm

4. `Invalid MIDI IRQ' message on startup.

5. RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

6. XFree86 3.1.2G Cirrus GD7543 now OK

7. RPM: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

8. Internet Connection Sharing

9. Problem with Gnome RPM - Failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

10. rpm upgraded - kpackage won't read packages.rpm

11. rpm -e reports rpm package not installed

12. Why does G-RPM install no RPM packages ?

13. RPM: can't open packages.rpm