Headless Linux reboot problem

Post by Michael Wya » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:36:48

I'm trying to setup a headless Linux server using RedHat 7.1.  I have
modified the kernel and lilo to run the console on the serial port and
everything works as I expect it to.
However, when I have nothing connected to the serial port and try to
reboot
the headless box using rsh, the reboot won't continue until I plug
something into the serial port.  When I plug the console into the
serial port there are a lot of messages that look like console
messages that pour onto the screen and then the reboot continues.
One thing I have found is that if I kill mgetty, syslogd and klogd the
reboot will happen without plugging anything into the serial port.
Does anyone have an idea as to what the reboot could be waiting for?
I assume it's because the console's log buffer is full, but what can I
do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.
michael

Headless Linux reboot problem

Post by josep » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 01:18:42

If you don't really need anything connected, a normal kernel will suffice.
Set the bios to boot up inspite of any errors, and disconnect the keyboard,
monitor and mouse.
Make sure you have some network based access facility ( telnet plain or
through ssh?) operational.

later.

Quote:> I'm trying to setup a headless Linux server using RedHat 7.1.  I have
> modified the kernel and lilo to run the console on the serial port and
> everything works as I expect it to.
> However, when I have nothing connected to the serial port and try to
> reboot
> the headless box using rsh, the reboot won't continue until I plug
> something into the serial port.  When I plug the console into the
> serial port there are a lot of messages that look like console
> messages that pour onto the screen and then the reboot continues.
> One thing I have found is that if I kill mgetty, syslogd and klogd the
> reboot will happen without plugging anything into the serial port.
> Does anyone have an idea as to what the reboot could be waiting for?
> I assume it's because the console's log buffer is full, but what can I
> do to fix this problem?

> Thanks in advance for any help.
> michael

Headless Linux reboot problem

Post by Peter Mitche » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:46:18

I'm using an older Linux (RH5.2 with 2.0 series kernel), but have it
running headless. I got the kernel messages to come through the serial
port by renaming /dev/console to /dev/cons and making a new
/dev/console which is a link to /dev/ttyS1 (com2).
I also had to put a suitable line in /etc/inittab. I sometimes connect
using the serial port and sometimes using telnet. I have had no
trouble with rebooting failing the way you describe.
I did not modify lilo, jut the lilo.conf file. I had to patch the
kernel source in 2 ways - to get support for ttyS1 instead of ttyS0,
and to define the symbol which made the compiler put serial support
in.

How heavily did you need to modify the kernel and lilo?

Post by Lee All » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 04:55:04

Quote:>I'm trying to setup a headless Linux server using RedHat 7.1.  I have
>modified the kernel and lilo to run the console on the serial port and
>everything works as I expect it to.
>However, when I have nothing connected to the serial port and try to
>reboot
>the headless box using rsh, the reboot won't continue until I plug
>something into the serial port.  When I plug the console into the
>serial port there are a lot of messages that look like console
>messages that pour onto the screen and then the reboot continues.
>One thing I have found is that if I kill mgetty, syslogd and klogd the
>reboot will happen without plugging anything into the serial port.
>Does anyone have an idea as to what the reboot could be waiting for?
>I assume it's because the console's log buffer is full, but what can I
>do to fix this problem?

I know absolutely nothing about a serial console, and booting with
same.  So if you get any responses that sound more knowledgeable, use
them, disregard mine.

I do know a thing or two about serial ports.  It sounds like it's
using hardware flow control.  If you can't disable it, fool it, by
crossing over the RTS & CTS signal pins.

-Lee Allen

1. reboot error reboot error reboot error

wierd thing just happend to me. I've been runnning linux for about 4months
with the usual rpobelsm.. anyway, yesterday I gota  new Ide drive, and dropped
it into my 486, which also ahs 2 scsi drives in it .. fine.. no prob.
I rebooted, did a mk2efs on the ide, even mounted it to /mnt
cool.. then, today I was going to come back and reisntall my system
onto the Ide. (the scsi drives give me time outs), but for some reason
whenever I try to boot off of my boot this, it gets to
the end of Loading ........
and then reboots the machine again... and it will keep doing this over and
over and over... I even pulled out the ide again, but that didn't help any..
I can stil boot off of an a1.3 disk, but that doesn't really help me any..
eeven though I suppose I could try to make another boot disk.. but
hmmm.. well, I'll try that tomorrow :( ..
I realize this will probbaly fix the error, but I'm just wondering what
could possibly cause and error like this :)
thanks,
ian
--
             "Let us be thankful for the fools; but for
                them  the  rest of us  could not  succeed"

2. Automated SysAdmin; Dot Files; HP-UX porting (ver: Jul 6, 2004)

3. Compaq 6000 reboots and reboots and reboots

4. Skey and WuFTP

5. reboot &c should chdir("/") (Re: Problem with reboot and umount)

6. How to install Netgear FA310TX

7. Headless multia boot problem

8. tinyX-mono: where?

9. Headless Sparc bootup problem

10. Headless E250 boot problem

11. headless server "kit" for Linux?

12. Headless Linux

13. Running Linux "headless" and "keyboardless"