Need help with DIP in dynamic slip env.

Post by naza.. » Wed, 06 Jul 1994 17:33:55

I am having some trouble getting DIP v.3.37 (uri) working from home.

I am dialing into a bank of modems which supports 32 lines.  I dial
one number and may be attached to anyone of 32 modems which are on two
terminal servers.  My problem is I don't understand how to make dip
acquire the remote IP address dynamically (which I assume it can do
via BOOTP).  It seems that DIP is designed for static environments or
well known dynamic environments.

Ideally, I would expect DIP to be able to get the netmask, remote
gateway, etc via bootp... Am I correct about this?

If anyone can offer suggestions I would appreciate the help very
much...

--
+---------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Paul Nazario                    |                                        |

| University of Kansas            | Phone:     (913) 864-0421              |
+---------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

Post by Johannes Stil » Fri, 08 Jul 1994 20:32:48

>I am having some trouble getting DIP v.3.37 (uri) working from home.

>I am dialing into a bank of modems which supports 32 lines.  I dial
>one number and may be attached to anyone of 32 modems which are on two
>terminal servers.  My problem is I don't understand how to make dip
>acquire the remote IP address dynamically (which I assume it can do

[...]

Is your local IP address always the same?

You don't need to know the remote IP address or the netmask for SLIP.
The remote address DIP asks for is there only to make it easier to set
up routes. You can give DIP _any_ address as remote address that isn't
on the local side of the SLIP connection. The address need not even
belong to an existing machine. Giving a "wrong" address doesn't result
in any peformance loss or detours for the packets. But don't forget the
"default" option in your DIP script.

This isn't true if you have to run routed or gated. It might not be true
for PPP. (Does anyone know for sure about PPP?)

        Johannes

1. linux newbie needs help with dip and dynamic slip

Hmm...

This might sound awfully stupid but as a linux newbie I think this newsgroup
is a good way to ask questions about linux and stuff. :)

I have a dynamic slip acct and a Linux Slackware, but after days reading the HOWTO I still
can't figure out these problems below:

I tried to use dip but the modem doesn't connect. It doesn't even make a sound.
If you have a dip configuration for dynamic slip, could you send me the file,
please? :)

Also, how to test the slip connection once I get connected? I tried to email myself from elm
but it bounced back to me with some error messages. Do I have to setup something for this email thing
so it can go outside my computer? And same thing goes with ftp and telnet; I can't connect to
outside world.

Thanks for the info. :)

2. Slackware: fsck always check at boot time

3. dip and Xylogics annex (dynamic SLIP) help needed

4. ## Multiple OS Suugestion

5. HELP with dip and dynamic SLIP connection

6. HP 855C Prints Dark

7. help dip SLIP wil dynamic IP server

8. Bug in mkfs suspected (with proposed workaround)

9. How to setup SLIP using dip for dynamic IP

10. Dynamic Slip address with DIP

11. Dynamic SLIP, dip error

12. dip and dynamic SLIP connection

13. dip script for slip/ppp connection with dynamic IP address