sending input to serial console

Post by Jonathan Mag » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 01:06:04

Hi,

I'm using a Livingston Port Master terminal server to create a serial
console server for a bunch of linux machines. I'm using lilo to send the
boot information to the serial console, with these statements in the
lilo.conf:

serial=0,9600n8
append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8"

This mostly works. I get all the boot output on the attached serial line,
but it doesn't allow me to input anything- if I type characters they echo
on the screen (they're transmitted fine), but hitting the tab key, for
example, at the lilo prompt does not pause lilo for input.

Is this normal? Or is there some way to have my input used by the serial
console?

thanks,
jem.
--
Unix Jack of All Trades

Post by Michael Heimin » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 16:11:49

> Hi,

> I'm using a Livingston Port Master terminal server to create a serial
> console server for a bunch of linux machines. I'm using lilo to send the
> boot information to the serial console, with these statements in the
> lilo.conf:

> serial=0,9600n8
> append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8"

> This mostly works. I get all the boot output on the attached serial line,
> but it doesn't allow me to input anything- if I type characters they echo
> on the screen (they're transmitted fine), but hitting the tab key, for
> example, at the lilo prompt does not pause lilo for input.

> Is this normal? Or is there some way to have my input used by the serial
> console?

Did you check "man lilo.conf"?

serial=parameters
   enables  control  from a serial line. The specified
   serial port is initialized and the boot  loader  is
   accepting input from it and from the PC's keyboard.
   Sending a break on the serial line  corresponds  to
   pressing a shift key on the console in order to get
   the  boot  loader's  attention.
[...]

Something like this in your inittab:

S0:123:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 9600 ttyS0

Should make it possible to login from your terminal server,
after boot succeded.

Good luck

Michael Heiming

1. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

I'm setting up a serial console on a machine for which the monitor
will go into the repair shop.  I've successfully set up getty to
take logins from the serial port, and I've successfully configured
the kernel to send boot messages to the serial port.  The final step
is setting up lilo.  Lilo works in that the boot prompt appears on
both the system console and on the serial port. However, I cannot
enter commands to the boot prompt from the serialport.  Following
manpage procedure, I transmit a break over the serial line in an
attempt to get lilo's attention.  It doesn't work.  Lilo listens only
to the system keyboard.  What's up?

System details: lilo-0.20-2 rpm from red hat 5.2, kernel 2.2.5,
otherwise a stock rh 5.2 i386 machine. Serial port connection: I'm running
kermit on a laptop.  I send breaks from kermit  as ctrl-\ b as indicated
in kermit man page. Kermit is ckermit-192.

I suppose that the simplest explanation is that I won't be able to get
lilo's attention unless I unplug the keyboard from the
to-be-monitorless system.  Possible?

Thanks,

Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

2. question about buffer_head

3. Merging keyboard input with serial console input?

4. Programs knowing "root"

5. Output on serial console / input from keyboard

6. some include files missing (.h)

7. How to send OS console messages to the serial port?

8. NFS mount : RPC : Timed out on RedHat 9

9. serial console & real console

10. serial console and real console

11. Send traffic from one serial port out to another serial port

12. Serial console Vs telnet console

13. No boot with serial port console and console terminal off