Netscape can't handle drop-down select boxes

Netscape can't handle drop-down select boxes

Post by Elden Fenis » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Greetings,

I run RH 6.2 and Netscape Navigator 4.73.  I've also run most of the
recent previous versions of Netscape and they all seem to have the same
extremely annoying problem... they can't handle drop-down select boxes
with a lot of selections.

Seems every time I encounter one of these drop-down boxes on a form, after
I make my selection, all ability to use the keyboard is gone.  I mean I
can't complete any more form elements, can't even change the dang url on
the address line until I close and re-start netscape.  Does anyone have a
clue about this?

--- rant mode on ----

Since Netscape is virtually the only choice for a browser in Linux, I've
pretty much stopped using Linux because of this.  I was thinking of Lynx,
but it doesn't seem to do tables.  How the hell can Linux ever succeed
without a friggin decent browser?

--- rant mode off ----

--

Elden Fenison
http://www.moondog.org

Netscape can't handle drop-down select boxes

Post by Joeri Sebrecht » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Netscape 4.73 is dead anyway.
Try mozilla (www.mozilla.org), I haven't checked the latest linux
builds, but the latest windows builds were very decent. And yes, it
supports java, and no, you don't have to compile it yourself.

Another thing with the 4.x series is that you need to exert a lot of
patience. If you let it do it's thing for a minute it will often
recover. But clicking and hitting keys while it's busy will only make it
worse.

good luck,
Joeri Sebrechts

> Greetings,

> I run RH 6.2 and Netscape Navigator 4.73.  I've also run most of the
> recent previous versions of Netscape and they all seem to have the same
> extremely annoying problem... they can't handle drop-down select boxes
> with a lot of selections.

> Seems every time I encounter one of these drop-down boxes on a form, after
> I make my selection, all ability to use the keyboard is gone.  I mean I
> can't complete any more form elements, can't even change the dang url on
> the address line until I close and re-start netscape.  Does anyone have a
> clue about this?

> --- rant mode on ----

> Since Netscape is virtually the only choice for a browser in Linux, I've
> pretty much stopped using Linux because of this.  I was thinking of Lynx,
> but it doesn't seem to do tables.  How the hell can Linux ever succeed
> without a friggin decent browser?

> --- rant mode off ----

> --

> Elden Fenison
> http://www.moondog.org

Netscape can't handle drop-down select boxes

Post by Elden Fenis » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:06:57 GMT,

>Netscape 4.73 is dead anyway.
>Try mozilla (www.mozilla.org), I haven't checked the latest linux
>builds, but the latest windows builds were very decent. And yes, it
>supports java, and no, you don't have to compile it yourself.

Right Joeri, I've installed Mozilla, but the end-user support for it
appears to be non-existent.  Mozilla.org is full of support, but it's all
for developers.  What about the end user?  Even the newsgroups are for the
developers.

Two things I need to know... One, how to enable Java for Mozilla.
Knowing how to install Java would be a good start, but Java support seems
to have the same problem that Mozilla has, all the support is for the
developer, nothing at all on how the end user should install and use the
product... Two, how to get Mozilla to be the default browser.

--

Elden Fenison
http://www.moondog.org

Post by Dries van Ooste » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:06:57 GMT,

> >Netscape 4.73 is dead anyway.
> >Try mozilla (www.mozilla.org), I haven't checked the latest linux
> >builds, but the latest windows builds were very decent. And yes, it
> >supports java, and no, you don't have to compile it yourself.

> Right Joeri, I've installed Mozilla, but the end-user support for it
> appears to be non-existent.  Mozilla.org is full of support, but it's all
> for developers.  What about the end user?  Even the newsgroups are for the
> developers.

Mozilla is still betaware isn't it? That means that end users officialy
don't exist yet. If you use it, you're more like a beta tester.

Groeten,
Dries

Netscape can't handle drop-down select boxes

Post by Elden Fenis » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:53:38 +0200,

Quote:>> Right Joeri, I've installed Mozilla, but the end-user support for it
>> appears to be non-existent.  Mozilla.org is full of support, but it's all
>> for developers.  What about the end user?  Even the newsgroups are for the
>> developers.

>Mozilla is still betaware isn't it? That means that end users officialy
>don't exist yet. If you use it, you're more like a beta tester.

Right, you do have a point.  Looks pretty dang good for betaware. :)

--

Elden Fenison
http://www.moondog.org

1. Frontpage Drop-Down-Feld f├╝llen mit Select aus MySQL mit php ..

Hallo!

Ich habe eine Frontpage-Dropdown-Liste und wollte diese mit vorhandenen
Werten aus eine Mysql-DB fllen. Weiss jmd. wie das geht. Ansonsten msste
ich alle Werte in HTML-Text definieren.

Gruss und Dank!
Volker

begin 666 Volker Erb.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..D5R8CM6;VQK97([.T1I<&PN

M3#M)3E1%4DY%5#I6;VQK97)?17)B0'0M;VYL:6YE+F1E#0I%34%)3#M04D5&
M.TE.5$523D54.E8N17)B0'0M;VYL:6YE+F1E#0I%34%)3#M)3E1%4DY%5#I+
M+E8N17)B0'0M;VYL:6YE+F1E#0I%34%)3#M)3E1%4DY%5#IK=F5T=65 >6%H
M;V\N9&4-"D5-04E,.TE.5$523D54.G9O;&ME<BYE<F) =V5B+F1E#0I2158Z

`
end

2. Pre-release of LDBF DBMS

3. Delay in accessing drop-down menus in xemacs

4. problem with copy_from_user

5. Can't use drop down menus (+/- Numlock)

6. Compiler assistance, revisited

7. After Netscape, I can't switch selecting windows'title

8. Problems in host.equiv

9. holding and moving MS mouse can't select item in pull-down manuel

10. How many FD's can select() handle?

11. It's not bad canned meat...

12. My Linux box won't power down itself...