TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?

Post by Jem Berke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> If you know of any decent TV/Video Capture card that supports EITHER
> Win2k or Linux, please let me know. (I expect that most people would not
> know a card that supports both just because they do not deal with the
> two operating systems. So please let me know the cards that support
> one of them).

Check out
http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/linux.html

----------
http://www.pc-tools.net/
DOS, Win32, Linux software

Post by emc.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > If you know of any decent TV/Video Capture card that supports EITHER
> > Win2k or Linux, please let me know. (I expect that most people would not
> > know a card that supports both just because they do not deal with the
> > two operating systems. So please let me know the cards that support
> > one of them).
> Check out
> http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/linux.html

Stay away from ATI.  The "ATI-TV Wonder" is the single worst expansion
card I have _ever_ used.  There were no Windows 2000 or NT drivers;
the Windows 95/98 drivers were literally buggy to the point of being
unusable; the "fixed drivers" ATI released over a year and a half
later were actually _worse_; for some inexplicable reason, the Linux
bt848 (or whatever) drivers don't work with the card, even though it
actually is a bt848.

That dismal experience has guaranteed that I will never, ever buy
another ATI product.  I sold the card for $50, and the only good thing
I can say about the card is that it has pretty good resale value.

--

TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?

Post by Kyong Son » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi.
AFAIK...  That is a driver problem.  At least, Hauppauge WinTV series have
Win2K driver.
Using this driver on other TV tuner also enables Win2K support (TV function
will be disabled in this way).

About the Linux driver, I have heard Linux kernel includes WinTV support.  I
don't use Linux, so no way to confirm.
(Probably other TV tuners can be supported as well?)

So, for these, probably WinTV is the one for you...

K.S.

Quote:> If you know of any decent TV/Video Capture card that supports EITHER
> Win2k or Linux, please let me know. (I expect that most people would not
> know a card that supports both just because they do not deal with the
> two operating systems. So please let me know the cards that support
> one of them).

> --
>            Do your algebra homework at http://www.algebra.com
> Solve: x^2+4x+3=0     Plot: y=3*sin(x^2)   Ask Questions  Word Problems
>                            http://www.algebra.com

TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?

Post by Matthew Hal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On 14 Oct 2000 14:36:36 -0400,

>Stay away from ATI.  The "ATI-TV Wonder" is the single worst expansion
>card I have _ever_ used.  There were no Windows 2000 or NT drivers;
>the Windows 95/98 drivers were literally buggy to the point of being
>unusable; the "fixed drivers" ATI released over a year and a half
>later were actually _worse_; for some inexplicable reason, the Linux
>bt848 (or whatever) drivers don't work with the card, even though it
>actually is a bt848.

>That dismal experience has guaranteed that I will never, ever buy
>another ATI product.  I sold the card for $50, and the only good thing
>I can say about the card is that it has pretty good resale value.

Unfortunate to hear when I was contemplating purchasing that card. What would
make a good alternative?

--
1 out of 6,000,000,000 CAN be wrong!

TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?

Post by Eric Ve » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I like the Hauppauge card. It runs fine in Windows 2000.

Not many bells and whistles in the software as in no scheduled digital
recordings, though. And you have to bring your own codec (I like PicVideo's
MJPEG free for registering one).

640x480 is the maximum I can get out of it, but the drivers are rock solid on
either an Intel chipset MB or a VIA based one.

Quote:> If you know of any decent TV/Video Capture card that supports EITHER
> Win2k or Linux, please let me know. (I expect that most people would not
> know a card that supports both just because they do not deal with the
> two operating systems. So please let me know the cards that support
> one of them).

> --
>            Do your algebra homework at http://www.algebra.com
> Solve: x^2+4x+3=0     Plot: y=3*sin(x^2)   Ask Questions  Word Problems
>                            http://www.algebra.com

TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?

Post by Lou Abne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I bought an ATI Wonder VE and it has a bt848 chip which bttv knows.
The tuner works and the video input works after I fiddled with the module.conf
file.  But no sound yet.  Search www.freshmeat.net for bttv and xawtv and then
find their supported card lists.

> > > If you know of any decent TV/Video Capture card that supports EITHER
> > > Win2k or Linux, please let me know. (I expect that most people would not
> > > know a card that supports both just because they do not deal with the
> > > two operating systems. So please let me know the cards that support
> > > one of them).

> > Check out
> > http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/linux.html

> Stay away from ATI.  The "ATI-TV Wonder" is the single worst expansion
> card I have _ever_ used.  There were no Windows 2000 or NT drivers;
> the Windows 95/98 drivers were literally buggy to the point of being
> unusable; the "fixed drivers" ATI released over a year and a half
> later were actually _worse_; for some inexplicable reason, the Linux
> bt848 (or whatever) drivers don't work with the card, even though it
> actually is a bt848.

> That dismal experience has guaranteed that I will never, ever buy
> another ATI product.  I sold the card for $50, and the only good thing
> I can say about the card is that it has pretty good resale value.

> --

1. TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?

        You might also want to have a look at FlyVideo'98.

        http://www.lifeview.com

        They have W2K support and also URL links to Linux.

        The application software that comes with it is quite buggy (overlay
display problem). The drivers works fine.

        I use AVI_IO (http://www.nct.ch/multimedia/avi_io/) instead.

        The card uses the Conexant (formerly BrookTree) chip BT878
(http://www.lifeview.com/DOWNLOAD/Main.htm)

Cheers

2. Problem mit Festplatte

3. AGP video card, TV tuner and capture card

4. Support for using HomePNA card in Linux gateway

5. mutiple tv tuner cards and video capture cards, help needed

6. Having trouble getting good results from nmap.

7. mutiple tv tuner cards/video capture cards, newbie question

8. Cryptic error messages

9. video capture and TV tuner card

10. Video Capture Card/TV Tuner

11. Zoltrix TV MAX tv tuner and vid capture card..

12. What's the most stable Video Capture/Tuner Card for Linux?

13. Video + sound capture boards, TV tuners