HELP!: Lost Linux after reinstalling Win95

HELP!: Lost Linux after reinstalling Win95

Post by sri » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I was cleaning up folders in Window's 95 on my desktop computer
when I accidentally deleted system files. After this  Window's 95 refused
to boot.

I had installed LILO so that I could boot with Linux (RedHat 6.1),
optionally.
Window's 95 was my default operating system.
I created system disks from my other Windows'95 based computer
(a laptop) and re-installed it on my desktop.  After I this, I was able
to boot properly with Window's 95 but was unable to get the LILO prompt
or to boot into Linux. I have a linux boot diskette but the computer
refuses
to boot with it.

If any of you had encountered this problem before and was able to resolve
it, I would appreciate it if you would let me know of your solution.

thank a lot,
regards,
Sri

HELP!: Lost Linux after reinstalling Win95

Post by Jim McIntyr » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

HI SRI

Like everything else about MS, windoze doesn't like to co-exist with other
products. When you reinstalled command.com from the Win 95 boot disk, you
overwrote LILO. This is a fairly simple problem to fix.

1. Boot the PC with your Linux boot disk.
2. When the command prompt comes up, hit [F4]. This brings you into rescue
mode.
3. You need two floppies to make a set of rescue disks.

Just follow the instructions. It's pretty easy. Once you get booted with the
rescue disks, go to the command prompt, and type "/sbin/lilo". This will
reinstall lilo into your MBR.
I hope this helps

Jim McIntyre
Webmaster Program
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

HELP!: Lost Linux after reinstalling Win95

Post by Anita Lew » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Do you have the installation floppy that comes with RH?  If so,
there is an explanation on how to use that at www.redhat.com.
http://customer.support.redhat.com/rhoaprod/plsql/xxrh_know_pkg.srch2...

Here is another one that tells what to do if the installation
floppy doesn't work.

http://customer.support.redhat.com/rhoaprod/plsql/xxrh_know_pkg.srch2...

It gives a site for where to download a boot floppy.

Anita

>Hi,

>I was cleaning up folders in Window's 95 on my desktop computer
>when I accidentally deleted system files. After this  Window's 95 refused
>to boot.

>I had installed LILO so that I could boot with Linux (RedHat 6.1),
>optionally.
>Window's 95 was my default operating system.
>I created system disks from my other Windows'95 based computer
>(a laptop) and re-installed it on my desktop.  After I this, I was able
>to boot properly with Window's 95 but was unable to get the LILO prompt
>or to boot into Linux. I have a linux boot diskette but the computer
>refuses
>to boot with it.

>If any of you had encountered this problem before and was able to resolve
>it, I would appreciate it if you would let me know of your solution.

>thank a lot,
>regards,
>Sri

1. HELP!: Lost LILO after reinstalling Win95

Hi,

I had posted a request earlier for help with my LILO problem. I
reinstalled Win95 and overwrote the MBR (and thus lost LILO and access
to Linux 6.0 that was running on my PC).

I got replies from two people Jim and Anita. Thanks for your replies.

I followed their suggestions and tried to boot my pc with linux.
I was unable to. My original problem was because of a bad floppy disk (?)
giving me an error message 0x10.

I then downloaded an image file from redhat and created
a boot diskette using rawrite. With this, I was able to type "rescue"
at boot prompt and get the machine to read the floppy and
go through the bootup process. However, it stopped with a message:
.
.
.
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 <hda5> hda3
hdb: hdb2 hdb3
VFS: cannot open root device 08:32
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:32

 08:32 Does that mean anything?

I tried the command "linux hd=/dev/hdb3" (also linux hd=/tmp/hdb3)
at boot: prompt, where /dev/hdb3 is the linux native partition.
This did not help as the boot floppy put me into an installation setup.

Is there anything else I can do? Or, am I doing something wrong at
the very basic level? Unfortunately I do not have the installation CDs
as I had borrowed a friend's copy and I do not have access to it again.

If my disk parititioning information can be of any help I have included it
below:

I was able to get this information using an old installation CDs I got from

Infomagic.

Disk: /tmp/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 624 cylinders
Units: Cylinders of 8064x512 bytes
Device    Boot Begin    Start End       Blocks  Id      System
/tmp/hda1       *       3       3       328     1314432         6       Dos 16-bit>=32MB
/tmp/hda2               329     329     623     1189440 5       Extended
/tmp/hda3               1       1       2         8032+ 12      Unknown
/tmp/hda5               329     329     623     1189408+        6       Dos16-bit>=32MB

Disk: /tmp/hdb: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 1022 cylinders
Units: Cylinders of 4032*512 bytes
Device   Boot  Begin    Start End       Blocks  Id      System
/tmp/hdb2               1       1       66      133024+ 82      Linux Swap
/tmp/hdb3               67      67      1022    1927296 83      Linux Native

Hoping to hear from the Linux Guru's!

regards,
SRI.

2. LINUX AVAILABLE ON DISK O

3. Help: Reinstalling Linux Without Losing Everything

4. I need a little help please

5. HELP: Lost Linux after reinstalling windows'95

6. Anyone using 4.3BSD's ("classic") rdist -Server?

7. PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

8. VCs above 12

9. lost Win95 during Linux setup - help

10. help:lost cdrom in win95 after install linux

11. Reinstalling windows 98 loses linux

12. Reinstalling RH4.2 on Linux/Win95 Box

13. Please Help: Lost Win95 OSRII after wrong LILO installation