help: how to fix partition table?

Post by Wes Bro » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

hi,

  just wondering if anyone could tell me how to fix the partition table after
it has been screwed up?  What happened is I hit the reset button on my computer
as it was booting up linux (DOH! dumb, I know) anyway, when it boots it panics
when trying to mount the fs. I get the error:  kernel panic, unable to mount
root fs on 803
  I tried to boot the computer up with the installation disks, but I cant mount
any of the partitions.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have alot of
work on the computer that wasnt backed up, and I hate the thought of loosing it.

thanks,

wes

Post by Andries Brouw » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

:   just wondering if anyone could tell me how to fix the partition table after
: it has been screwed up?  What happened is I hit the reset button on my computer
: as it was booting up linux (DOH! dumb, I know) anyway, when it boots it panics
: when trying to mount the fs. I get the error:  kernel panic, unable to mount
: root fs on 803
:   I tried to boot the computer up with the installation disks, but I cant mount
: any of the partitions.

And what does fdisk say about your partitions?

If you know what your partitions were, repairing block 0 may be straightforward.

Post by Jason Weisberg » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

:   I tried to boot the computer up with the installation disks, but I cant mount
: any of the partitions.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have alot of
: work on the computer that wasnt backed up, and I hate the thought of loosing it.

Does your SCSI card have a partition fixing utility in BIOS - some do,
some work, many don't. Its a one try thing, also. Either Yes its fixed or
no you're fdiskin'!

Oooops.

--

http://www.qtime.com/~jweis <- One twisted website
 A protest of the unconsitutional ITAR, a chunk of PGP.EXE:

 for next chunk to export --> http://dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/export/