Question on a new Red Hat 6.0 Linux install

Question on a new Red Hat 6.0 Linux install

Post by Dave LaPor » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Could someone help me with the following questions.  I have
just recently installed Red Hat linux 6.0 on a new system.  I have
installed the os as a server, without preconfiguring any of the
partition sizes,  I just let the Red Hat install program set it up as
defualt.  Every thing went well with the install except for three
questions.

        1.  Why, after doing a ' ls ' from the root dir ' / ' do all
the sub dirrectorys have a / after them.  ie:  etc/, dev/, home/.  I
have another server that's the exact same os, ( only a consultant set
that one up ) yet that server doen't have the trailing slash's.

        2.  Why, after createing a new file on the server that I
loaded the os on, do all filenames end with an '*'  ie:  firstfile*
secondfile* etc.  After doing a ls in any dir, where I created files,
the files end with a *.

        3.  How do I set the linux xwindow system to kde.  What is the
easiest way to do that.  I can log in as root, and for some reason (
after clicking on the desktop to get the menu's to come up )  there is
now option to get to linuxconf etc.

        Any help would be appreaciated.  And sorry for the newbee
questions..!

Thanks

Dave LaPorte.

Post by Andy970 » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> 1. Why, after doing a ' ls ' from the root dir ' / ' do all
> the sub dirrectorys have a / after them. ie: etc/, dev/, home/. I
> have another server that's the exact same os, ( only a consultant set
> that one up ) yet that server doen't have the trailing slash's.

That's probably because you have an alias set up for ls.  I'm not sure
what shell you're running (I'd guess bash), and in your .bashrc file
(that's what it is for bash, anyways) there is an alias for ls, so that
the -F option is always used.  That is what's giving you the / at the
end of directories.  If you edit your .bashrc file in your home
directory with you favorite editor, you can remove the -F from the ls
alias, and you should be all set.

Quote:> 2. Why, after createing a new file on the server that I
> loaded the os on, do all filenames end with an '*' ie: firstfile*
> secondfile* etc. After doing a ls in any dir, where I created files,
> the files end with a *.

It's the same reason as your first question - ls automatically uses the
-F option.  It's just a visible reminder the file ending with a * is an
executable file.  I personally prefer to use the --color option of ls
instead, which makes executable files and directores a different color.
This could be added to the ls alias in your .bashrc file if you'd like
to add it.

Quote:> 3. How do I set the linux xwindow system to kde. What is the
> easiest way to do that. I can log in as root, and for some reason (
> after clicking on the desktop to get the menu's to come up ) there is
> now option to get to linuxconf etc.

I'm not sure about making KDE the default, but I do know how to launch
KDE instead of Gnome when you login.  At the login window after X has
started, there are some menus at the bottom of the window.  I believe
System is the name of the menu on the right, go into that menu and I
think there's an option about Desktop environment or something...just
select KDE from the list.  Sorry about the vagueness of the
instructions, but I'm happy with Gnome, so I don't go into those menus
very often.

Quote:> Thanks

No problem, I have recently started using Linux as well, so I had,and
still have, quite a few questions about Linux.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Question on a new Red Hat 6.0 Linux install

Post by Rod Bric » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>         1.  Why, after doing a ' ls ' from the root dir ' / ' do all

Somewhere in your system the ls command is defaulting to 'ls -F'

means it's a symlink.  There's probably some environment variable,
LSOPTIONS, or something like that which is setting this.  I have no idea
where it gets set.

Quote:>         2.  Why, after createing a new file on the server that I
> loaded the os on, do all filenames end with an '*'  ie:  firstfile*

See answer to 1.

Quote:>         3.  How do I set the linux xwindow system to kde.

I'm not too familiar with either RH or X, but look in your home (/root
for root user) directory.  Do a 'ls -al'  There should be some .X?????
files there.  Specifically, look at .Xclients-default or .Xdefaults.  I
think maybe you can change your window manager from there.  But you need
to have the window manager installed for it to actually work.  You might
take a look at any X HOWTO documents you can find.  Very helpful.

--
Rod Brick
PSW Technologies

Post by Joe Schottma » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>    1.  Why, after doing a ' ls ' from the root dir ' / ' do all
> the sub dirrectorys have a / after them.  ie:  etc/, dev/, home/.  I
> have another server that's the exact same os, ( only a consultant set
> that one up ) yet that server doen't have the trailing slash's.
>    2.  Why, after createing a new file on the server that I
> loaded the os on, do all filenames end with an '*'  ie:  firstfile*
> secondfile* etc.  After doing a ls in any dir, where I created files,
> the files end with a *.

As other people have noted, your ls command has been aliased to 'ls -F'.
But when you say creating files, do you mean compiling code, or creating shell
scripts that you make executable?  Or do you mean creating any file, such as
a text file?  If everything is being given executable permission by default,
then this could present a serious security risk.

Joe Schottman

Question on a new Red Hat 6.0 Linux install

Post by Dave LaPor » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Joe:

        Sorry, I should have been more clear.  Only the files which I
have made executible are showing up with the * at the end, which is
the way it should be,  I just want to find out how to turn of the
alias for ls -F  I have looked in my .bashrc file, and still havn't
found it. This isn't a huge problem, just anoying!

Dave.

On 29 Mar 2000 20:40:52 -0500, Joe Schottman

Post by Andy970 » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Joe:

> Sorry, I should have been more clear. Only the files which I
> have made executible are showing up with the * at the end, which is
> the way it should be, I just want to find out how to turn of the
> alias for ls -F I have looked in my .bashrc file, and still havn't
> found it. This isn't a huge problem, just anoying!

> Dave.

You could try looking in /etc/bash_profile, or some other similarily
named file in /etc...I can't remember any names of other possible
files, but I think there are a couple more there that you could try.
You might also want to look at a Bash Howto, that might be able to help
you out.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. is this a h/w problem?

3. Installing RealProducer Plus 6.0 in Red Hat Linux 6.0

4. changing dir's faster..

5. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

6. Should find traverse symbolic links?

7. Red Hat linux 6.0 Install Problems

8. Kernel support for FAT32

9. Installing Java3D on Red Hat Linux 6.0

10. Red Hat Linux 6.0 Install Problem

11. I need help installing Linux (Red Hat 6.0) on partitioned HD

12. installing Java 3D on Red Hat Linux 6.0

13. Red Hat Linux 6.0 Install Problem