How to decompress .bz2 files ?

Post by Michael Svenss » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 02:55:37

I found some tool packages which are probably compressed by some archiver.
Their extension is *.tar.bz2

How do I decompress them ?
I tried it with gzip:

gzip -d -v myarv.tar.bz2

but got an error:

gzip: myarv.tar.bz2: unknown suffix -- ignored

Regards
Michael

How to decompress .bz2 files ?

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:08:39

> I found some tool packages which are probably compressed by some archiver.
> Their extension is *.tar.bz2

> How do I decompress them ?

Those are bzip2 files.  Unzip with bunzip2.

Or 'man tar'.  With GNU tar in Linux (assuming bzip2 installed):
tar -xjvf filename.tar.bz2

How to decompress .bz2 files ?

Post by Marco Schmid » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:12:44

Michael Svensson:

Quote:>I found some tool packages which are probably compressed by some archiver.
>Their extension is *.tar.bz2

>How do I decompress them ?

With bzip2 <http://sources.redhat.com/bzip2/> or some other archiver
supporting the bz2 file format (e.g. Winrar <http://www.rarlab.com/>).

[...]

Regards,
Marco

How to decompress .bz2 files ?

Post by Giuseppe Bilott » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:47:00

> I found some tool packages which are probably compressed by some archiver.
> Their extension is *.tar.bz2

> How do I decompress them ?
> I tried it with gzip:

Use bzip2 rather.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "I'll have my daddy buy it for me")

How to decompress .bz2 files ?

Post by Joe » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:37:43

>> I found some tool packages which are probably compressed by some archiver.
>> Their extension is *.tar.bz2

>> How do I decompress them ?

>Those are bzip2 files.  Unzip with bunzip2.

>Or 'man tar'.  With GNU tar in Linux (assuming bzip2 installed):
>tar -xjvf filename.tar.bz2

And if you have bzip2 but your tar wasn't compiled to use it:

bzcat filename.tar.bz2 | tar xv

(That's a pipe before the tar)
--
Joe

How to decompress .bz2 files ?

Post by mjt » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 04:06:05

> I found some tool packages which are probably compressed by some archiver.
> Their extension is *.tar.bz2

> How do I decompress them ?

.... try midnight commander: "mc"

How to decompress .bz2 files ?

Post by Phil Carmod » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:46:51

> I found some tool packages which are probably compressed by some archiver.
> Their extension is *.tar.bz2

> How do I decompress them ?
> I tried it with gzip:

> gzip -d -v myarv.tar.bz2

> but got an error:

> gzip: myarv.tar.bz2: unknown suffix -- ignored

Yeah, you need to use the command
  netscape www.google.com

And then use your wildest imagination to come up with a search string.
Maybe something with "bz2" in it, and perhaps either "compression" or
"decompression" too.

And who knows, perhaps the first hit will be something called "The bzip2 and libbzip2 home
page" which might even contain strings like "To decompress a .bz2 file, do
[SNIP]".

Or you could just post to comp.compression and wait for several hours for
someone to reply with a sensible answer.

Phil

How to decompress .bz2 files ?

Post by Lardy Gir » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 04:38:31

Quote:> I found some tool packages which are probably compressed by some archiver.
> Their extension is *.tar.bz2
> How do I decompress them ?
> I tried it with gzip:
> gzip -d -v myarv.tar.bz2
> but got an error:
> gzip: myarv.tar.bz2: unknown suffix -- ignored

Did you try azip, czip, dzip, ezip, fzip, hzip, izip, jzip, kzip, lzip,
mzip, nzip, ozip, pzip, qzip, rzip, szip, tzip, uzip, vzip, wzip, xzip,
yzip, or zzip?

Anna
--
 A n n a   S h e f l  -- Abandon 'safety' to reply
  - "Never eat more than you can lift."  --Miss Piggy -

How to decompress .bz2 files ?

Post by Mikael Lundqvis » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 05:09:25

> I found some tool packages which are probably compressed by some archiver.
> Their extension is *.tar.bz2

This is the result of a well known filepacker and implementation of the
prediction algorithm Burrows and Wheeler Transform, Bzip2.
You can find both source code and executables here:
http://sources.redhat.com/bzip2/

Quote:> How do I decompress them ?
> I tried it with gzip:

> gzip -d -v myarv.tar.bz2

Use the same flags with Bzip2 instead.
Lycka till.
--
Mikael Lundqvist
http://www.geocities.com/mikaellq/

How to decompress .bz2 files ?

Post by Erik Max Franci » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:40:15

> Those are bzip2 files.  Unzip with bunzip2.

> Or 'man tar'.  With GNU tar in Linux (assuming bzip2 installed):
> tar -xjvf filename.tar.bz2

I believe Red Hat's version of the tool is the one that uses the -j
option.  GNU tar itself uses -y to indicate bzip2 usage, which is more
consistent with -z for gzip.

/  \ Peace with a cudgel in hand is war.
\__/ (a Portugese proverb)
    Bosskey.net: Counter-Strike / http://www.bosskey.net/cs/
 A personal guide to Counter-Strike.