Wanted: Portable (hardware) MP3 player that works with Linux?

Wanted: Portable (hardware) MP3 player that works with Linux?

Post by John C. Peters » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

   I've been shopping around for a Portable MP3 player (one of the
hardware players, similar in size to a Walkman or Discman). The problem
is that for many of the units, the software that interfaces your
computer and the player only runs under `Doze. Fortunately, I didn't
have to look too far to find Linux support (attached below). I'll
probably buy the MPlayer3 since the vendor directly supports Linux
(although I do plan to wait until the 32MB flash cards are available).
My question is; Are there any other Linux compatible players that I
have left out?

   Player               Interface Software
   ======               ========= ========

   Pontis MPlayer3      http://www.mplayer3.com/ (from vendor)
   Saehan MPMan         http://www.world.co.uk/sba/mpman.htm (3rd party)
   Diamond Rio          http://www.world.co.uk/sba/rio.htm (3rd party)

   I've included the Diamond Rio for information only. I'm dating myself,
but I vividly recall the attitude that Diamond took in the early 90's
with regard to releasing the programming information for it's video
cards (the XFree86 folks couldn't get the information needed to support
their cards).  With that memory still fresh, I have no intentions of
*ever* purchasing any Diamond product.

Best Regards, John

--
 ___|___  | John C. Peterson, KD6EKQ | Try Linux for Intel x86, because

  o/ \o   | San Diego, CA   U.S.A    | See http://www.linux.org/ for info

Wanted: Portable (hardware) MP3 player that works with Linux?

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>My question is; Are there any other Linux compatible players that I
>have left out?

http://www.veryComputer.com/ IIRC for a radically different take on this!
(I"m sure you knew about it, but if you didn't, you'll get a kick
out of it - even if it doesn't qualify for your constraints).

Quote:>   I've included the Diamond Rio for information only. I'm dating myself,
>but I vividly recall the attitude that Diamond took in the early 90's
>with regard to releasing the programming information for it's video
>cards (the XFree86 folks couldn't get the information needed to support
>their cards).  With that memory still fresh, I have no intentions of
>*ever* purchasing any Diamond product.

A corporation is not an individual.  If an individual is an
* today, the chances are good (though not 100%) that he
will be one a few years later.  Corporations, however, are not
like that.  They can change in an instant.

Management changes.  New ideas come up, concepts that seemed alien
seem very reasonable now.  Business rules change based on market
or even public perceptions.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Diamond is no
longer doing things in the old way.  It's very likely that the
collective pressure of "I wont buy Diamond" is what made them
re-think.

But if that attitude persists *after* they did the re-think, then
you're actually harming the Linux cause.  You're removing the only
incentive that makes companies re-think their policies!  That
helps no one.  I mean - why should any other company bother to
listen to the complaints of us Linux-ers when we say to them
"please open up your hardware specs", if they think that such
opening up isn't going to get them the business of the Linux
people anyway?

Live in the present, not in the past!

I don't mean to offend or anything, but I hope you get what I'm
trying to say.