system.fvwm2rc under RHL 5.0

system.fvwm2rc under RHL 5.0

Post by Neil Zanell » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00



I am trying to set a system.fvwm2rc without having to put the

.fvwm2rc in /etc/skel . What the heck did Red Hat do with the fvwm2

system files? Just chamging system.fvwm2rc has no effect. It seems like

they made things complicated and used a bunch of shell scripts to do

some obscure stuff just to start up a windows manager (though probably

it's only obscure to me). I would like to know if anyone succeeded in

getting a customized system.fvwm2rc to work under Red Hat 5.0 or above

and how they did it.

Thanks,

Neil

 
 
 

system.fvwm2rc under RHL 5.0

Post by Rand » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00



> I am trying to set a system.fvwm2rc without having to put the

> .fvwm2rc in /etc/skel . What the heck did Red Hat do with the fvwm2
>  ...
> and how they did it.

> Thanks,

> Neil

Neil,

Try putting .fvwm2rc in /home/your_home/.fvwm2rc for local
   "" system.fvwm2    in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2/ for global

Local has precedence over global, and editing the global file
is generally not a good idea.  The /etc/skel files are basically
examples for you to move to the users (yourself or anyone elses)
home directory and then edit to your preference.  PS I'm using
Slackware at present but have set up Redhat boxes in
the past and I believe this should be work.

best of luck.
r.

 
 
 

system.fvwm2rc under RHL 5.0

Post by Neil Zanell » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00


Obviously what you suggest works.

I should have been clearer: I *want* to change the system wide .fvwm2rc
to make my system more user friendly (eg. bind some things to menus and
not have to do a per-user installation). Users that don't like it can
change their .fvwm2rc .

So, how do I proceed. I have tried the obvious and it didn't work.

TIA,

Neil



> > I am trying to set a system.fvwm2rc without having to put the

> > .fvwm2rc in /etc/skel . What the heck did Red Hat do with the fvwm2
> >  ...

> > and how they did it.

> > Thanks,

> > Neil

> Neil,

> Try putting .fvwm2rc in /home/your_home/.fvwm2rc for local
>    "" system.fvwm2    in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2/ for global

> Local has precedence over global, and editing the global file
> is generally not a good idea.  The /etc/skel files are basically
> examples for you to move to the users (yourself or anyone elses)
> home directory and then edit to your preference.  PS I'm using
> Slackware at present but have set up Redhat boxes in
> the past and I believe this should be work.

> best of luck.
> r.

 
 
 

system.fvwm2rc under RHL 5.0

Post by Rand » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00



> Obviously what you suggest works.

> I should have been clearer: I *want* to change the system wide .fvwm2rc
> to make my system more user friendly (eg. bind some things to menus and
> not have to do a per-user installation). Users that don't like it can
> change their .fvwm2rc .

> So, how do I proceed. I have tried the obvious and it didn't work.

> TIA,

> Neil

 
 
 

system.fvwm2rc under RHL 5.0

Post by Rand » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00


Sorry Neil I guess I misunderstood you a little bit.

In Slackware I do what you want by changing the
/usr/X11/lib/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc to usr/X11/lib/X11/fvwm2/.fvwm2rc.
Then if your users don't have a .fvwm2rc it will use this
default.  If they don't like it give them a copy of .fvwm2rc
to place in their home directory.  This might be different in RH5.
Good Luck,
Randy.


> Obviously what you suggest works.

> I should have been clearer: I *want* to change the system wide .fvwm2rc
> to make my system more user friendly (eg. bind some things to menus and
> not have to do a per-user installation). Users that don't like it can
> change their .fvwm2rc .

> So, how do I proceed. I have tried the obvious and it didn't work.

> TIA,

> Neil



 
 
 

1. Help: Printing to Epson Stylus under RHL 5.0

Hi,

Has anyone got this working under RHL5.0. This used to work under
Slackware for me but
now I have the latest version Alladin Ghostscript but it does not have
the drivers it seems. Can
someone who has this setup working please let me know how to get this
going!

Thanks in advance.
DJ

2. controlling ftpd access

3. REAL PLAYER AND LD_LIBRARY PATH IN RHL 5.0

4. sys-unconfig

5. BOCHS FOR WINDOWS AND RHL 5.0

6. Ext Scsi Tape 7206 & NT

7. Sybase CTLib + glibc + ctsql + RHL 5.0 ???

8. Anyone know any speed tweaks for KDE 2.2?

9. Help: Kaffe under RHL 5.0

10. DEC 21041 (Tulip) Problems under RHL 5.0

11. Win98/RHL 5.0 partitioning on new drive

12. Micron Servers and RHL 5.0 - HELP!

13. Help: 3c905, RHL 5.0