PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

Post by da.. » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

The title explains it all. . .

Current status:  I walked through the entire ppp document again, and was
able to create a chat script to autologin using information inside the
/etc/ppp/options file, ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, and ppp-off.

But I can't get ip-up to run.  I was careful to follow the exact
tutorial that the PPP HOWTO gave, and it wouldn't run.

In /var/log/messages I can see 'cannot execute /etc/ppp/ip-down, Exec
format error'

It indeed was not the correct format.  I have added a #!/bin/sh to the
first line, and have changed this to #!/bin/bash, and have messed with
all kinds of permissions.  Inside each corresponding file I just edited
down each file until they say:

echo IPUP is RUNNING > ipup.log

or

echo IPDOWN is RUNNING > ipdown.log

And I can run these files by hand and they work, but damned if it will
run with a ppp network layer comes up.  ip-down looked like it has tried
to run as mentioned above, but I can't recreate it.  ip-up has never
tried, according to the /var/log/messages.  I bring the ppp connection
down using ppp-off.  I also have added recommendations accordingn to
documentation and they don't run with exact syntax lifted from these
documents.

I am completely stumped.  Can anyone help?   I cannot find anything
anywhere that gives me a clue about what I might be missing.

I can manually alter the client routing on dialup, and I have an idea on
how to get the server side to alter the routing based on a mickey mouse
script I can write, but it is not the way it should work. If ip-up and
ip-down worked, it would be a piece of cake.  But I can't figure out
this last piece. . .

Help anyone??  Thanks, I would be very grateful.  Have installed and run
several other items under Linux and it all makes sense.  Have used dip
sacripts as well as chat scripts, and they all work fine.  But
/etc/ppp/ip-up and ip-down just flat aren't executing and I can't figure
out why.

Am running PPPD 2.2 under RedHat Linux 4.0.  Everything else works like
a champ.

tx, david

PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

Post by Christopher R. Wood » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Did you chmod u+x the script?  That is necessary, and you didn't mention
doing it....

> The title explains it all. . .

> Current status:  I walked through the entire ppp document again, and was
> able to create a chat script to autologin using information inside the
> /etc/ppp/options file, ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, and ppp-off.

> But I can't get ip-up to run.  I was careful to follow the exact
> tutorial that the PPP HOWTO gave, and it wouldn't run.

> In /var/log/messages I can see 'cannot execute /etc/ppp/ip-down, Exec
> format error'

> It indeed was not the correct format.  I have added a #!/bin/sh to the
> first line, and have changed this to #!/bin/bash, and have messed with
> all kinds of permissions.  Inside each corresponding file I just edited
> down each file until they say:

> echo IPUP is RUNNING > ipup.log

> or

> echo IPDOWN is RUNNING > ipdown.log

> And I can run these files by hand and they work, but damned if it will
> run with a ppp network layer comes up.  ip-down looked like it has tried
> to run as mentioned above, but I can't recreate it.  ip-up has never
> tried, according to the /var/log/messages.  I bring the ppp connection
> down using ppp-off.  I also have added recommendations accordingn to
> documentation and they don't run with exact syntax lifted from these
> documents.

> I am completely stumped.  Can anyone help?   I cannot find anything
> anywhere that gives me a clue about what I might be missing.

> I can manually alter the client routing on dialup, and I have an idea on
> how to get the server side to alter the routing based on a mickey mouse
> script I can write, but it is not the way it should work. If ip-up and
> ip-down worked, it would be a piece of cake.  But I can't figure out
> this last piece. . .

> Help anyone??  Thanks, I would be very grateful.  Have installed and run
> several other items under Linux and it all makes sense.  Have used dip
> sacripts as well as chat scripts, and they all work fine.  But
> /etc/ppp/ip-up and ip-down just flat aren't executing and I can't figure
> out why.

> Am running PPPD 2.2 under RedHat Linux 4.0.  Everything else works like
> a champ.

> tx, david

'O Judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their
reason!' - Shakespear, Julius Caesar, III, 2.

PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

Post by Friedhelm Mehne » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: The title explains it all. . .
:
: echo IPUP is RUNNING > ipup.log
:
The first line should read "#! /bin/sh" or "#! /bin/bash".
Also the last line should read "exit 0".
Also the scripts must be executable by whatever user is
running pppd on your system. Also they must exist in the
place pppd is looking for them. Usualy this is /etc/ppp, but
may be something different on your system (/sbin /usr/sbin
??). Finally use full path on any utilities you are calling
from within them. I think they don't see the path.
Somewere within the documentation (can't find it right now)
it says that ip-up and ip-down scripts run with their
standard output (and maybe error output, I'm not shure about
this) redirected to /dev/null !
This means you can _not_ perform any output from these
scripts that you can see without dirty tricks.
So they actually may be running, but you just won't notice.
:-)
It took me some time too to figure this one out.
Here are my ip-up and ip-down scripts:

#! /bin/sh
case "$5" in
        192.168.0.3)
                /sbin/route del localnet
                /sbin/route add default ppp0
esac
exit 0

#! /bin/sh
case "$5" in
        192.168.0.3)
                /sbin/route del default
                /sbin/route add localnet
esac
exit 0

I use this to connect to a machine on my local
network which is physicaly 50 miles away. I also
connect to an ISP which doesn't need no special
treatment.
Aditional info can also be found in one of the
first issues of the Linux Gazette, which can be
found at ssc.com.

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
"whitespace.de" is a bogus address. I'm only temporary connectet
to the internet via a slow ppp link.

1. PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

[...]

2. Source files for common unix programs

3. TACACS under Linux...sometimes forgetful.

4. pppd: /etc/ppp/ip-up /etc/ppp/ip-down: Exec format error

5. changing resolution in RH7.3...doesn't work!?

6. eql (load balancing) - /etc/ppp/ip-up HELP Please!

7. More than 1GB memory

8. load balancing - /etc/ppp/ip-up Help Please!

9. load balancing - /etc/ppp/ip-up Help please!

10. load balancing - /etc/ppp/ip-up Help Please!

11. PPP still not working..Please help...

12. Talk does not work, PPP, HELP please