NEED HELP Deciding which Linux dist. to get

NEED HELP Deciding which Linux dist. to get

Post by Fred Halbur » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I would like to buy a distribution of Linux that is easy to install and
administer. It should be a version that is fairly standard. Preferably,
it would have simple installation from a CD-ROM (I'd rather not download
the whole thing from the 'net) and graphical administration. I think
there are several distributions that have all of these features.

I will be running a Pentium 100 Mhz, with 16 MB RAM, 1 GB hard drive,
and either an ATI Graphics Ultra Pro Turbo or #9 Imagine 128 video card.

Any recommendations on which distribution I should get and where I can
buy it?

Thanks!
Fred Halburn

NEED HELP Deciding which Linux dist. to get

Post by Fred Halbur » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

A little extra note:

I'd like to have Linux co-exist with MS-DOS. I have heard of a Linux
distribution where you can cd to c:\linux, type linux, and the program
will take care of the rest (and start up Linux).

Any recommendations?

NEED HELP Deciding which Linux dist. to get

Post by David R. Van Sand » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

I recommend the lastest 4 CD set from InfoMagic.  It's loaded w/ TONS of stuff.
Slackware distribution of Linux 2.x, sunsite, GNU, etc... can be run right
from the CD if you like.

Plus they say 'free technical support'.

Checkout www.infomagic.com for more info and to see their catalog.

NEED HELP Deciding which Linux dist. to get

Post by Bill Powe » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

: A little extra note:
:
: I'd like to have Linux co-exist with MS-DOS. I have heard of a Linux
: distribution where you can cd to c:\linux, type linux, and the program
: will take care of the rest (and start up Linux).
:
: Any recommendations?

It's not my intent to disparage any linux distribution, but I'd recommend the
InfoMagic 4 CD set for $25 plus shipping.  That's what I got (it was two CD's
then) and I'm extremely happy with it.  Just about every package you could
possibly think of is on the CD's.

As for co-existing with with MS-DOS, if you mean you want linux to use the
MS-DOS filesystem, and not repartition the hard drive, then use the UMSDOS file
system when you install Linux.  UMSDOS works quite well, and I've used it,
but with a full Gig hard drive, I'd recommend using fips to cut off 500M or so
for an ext2 filesystem install.  The gain in performance and robustness is (in
my opinion) worth the trouble.  That having been said, however, UMSDOS is a
great way to 'try out' Linux before deciding to go 'all the way' with a
dedicated partition.

1. Idea for Developing a Linux dist. (also Need Help for that)

Hy,
It's been a while that I'm using linux, but i never could find a dist.
that i could say: This is it, this is the real power of linux

I've lots of dist.s and I think nothing is really good enough to be
the great linux dist. (perhaps LFS or Gentoo :-)

I would like to purpose an idea here at this forum, if anyone like to
help....

Maybe we should build something for all our expectations.

Here's my idea at short:
- A linux dist. that will be for all the user
(Personal/Devloping/Advanced users)
- Very easy installation and still very advanced (.....advanced button
on each level...)
- Stable, multilanguage
- Letting the user decide what file to compile:
- - 2 Installation modes:
- - - - 1) Install all from pre-compiled binary packages (RPM, DEB)
- - - - 2) Compile all/part of the system/packages
- - By that give the user th option to control the optimization and
let him choose what things he will like to compile or install from
Binary packages.
- - By this option we will cover the two worlds: Binary dist.    and
 Compiled system world (gentoo but for the simple user)
- Include the kernel all the common drivers (including Joystick and
all those drivers)
- Organized setup screen that will cover all of the part's at the
system
- - Let the KDE configure only the LOOK and not the: lilo, X, samba
and stuff that's will do the SETUP above...
- This dist. is not a server (..maybe something like PWS? :-) so we
don't need to overload services! only the necessary (what RedHat and
Mandrake wont do)
- Organized menu (not mess by sub-sub-sub-folders)
- We will have one setup (configuration) program that will apply for
everything and the look we will left to KDE/GNOME/etc

That's mainly my idea..

I'm cuurently know to program on:C/Python/HTML/C+- (i start to study
c++ but i've stop...need help.. :-( )

There are two options, program at C++ (GTK2/QT) or at python (QT/GTK2)
Most of you say C++ and I agree but this we will need to decide..

Well, valounteers and ideas will be welcome.

Eyal Ben-Simon

2. Getting Contents

3. LILO: Decided to give another try. Need help!!

4. how to get date?

5. Help Deciding If Server Is Needed

6. where is the command "ar"

7. Newbie needs help deciding how to begin?

8. RedHat 5.2 killed my SAMBA

9. Need help getting connected, bootp help needed

10. Need help with X on a nubus powerpc (debian dist.)

11. Newbie Help: Need FAQ's, Dist Site Info, Other Questions.

12. Need help locating DNS files for Yggdrasil dist.

13. Help needed with metaconfig (dist) package.