Mounting Xenix file system on Linux

Post by Marv Lanc » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have an old working Xenix system (2.3.2?) that I wanted to move the data files
over to Linux.  I removed the disk (a maxstor 80mb) from the xenix box and
attached it as a slave drive to the linux box.  The linux system recongnized the
disk as hdh with a partition hdh4.  So far so good.  However when I tried to
mount the disk with the following ommand:

    mount -r -t xenix /dev/hsh4 /mnt

I received the following message:

VFS: unable to read Xenix/SystemV/Coherent superblock on device
    mount:  wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc1
                or too many mounted filesystems.

I searched the news groups and linux archives and came across very little
regarding this problem.  I was wondering whether anyone has been successful
in being to solve this?

The xenix disk does boot on the xenix box so I know that the file system is
good and the software/data is OK.

If anyone has the time perhaps they can help me solve this problem.  I am doing
this for a friend who is unable to spend several hundred dollars with SCO for a
new operating system.

I know about uucp and direct connections but that is rather slow and tedious.
Direct copy from disk would be a lot faster and the preferred route.

--
Regards,
Marv Lance

(Spam control.  Remove no_spam before replying)

Mounting Xenix file system on Linux

Post by Raj Rijhwa » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I have an old working Xenix system (2.3.2?) that I wanted to move the data files> over to Linux.  I removed the disk (a maxstor 80mb) from the xenix box and
> attached it as a slave drive to the linux box.  The linux system recongnized the> disk as hdh with a partition hdh4.  So far so good.  However when I tried to
> mount the disk with the following ommand:
>     mount -r -t xenix /dev/hsh4 /mnt
> I received the following message:
> VFS: unable to read Xenix/SystemV/Coherent superblock on device
>     mount:  wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc1
>                 or too many mounted filesystems.
> I searched the news groups and linux archives and came across very little
> regarding this problem.  I was wondering whether anyone has been successful
> in being to solve this?
> The xenix disk does boot on the xenix box so I know that the file system is
> good and the software/data is OK.

Was it a PC architecture machine?  I have a Xenix machine which whilst
Intel 80286 based is most definitely not a PC, and I imagine the boot
loader and partition table would be rather different.

Quote:> If anyone has the time perhaps they can help me solve this problem.  I am doing
> this for a friend who is unable to spend several hundred dollars with SCO for a
> new operating system.
> I know about uucp and direct connections but that is rather slow and tedious.
> Direct copy from disk would be a lot faster and the preferred route.

You may not have any option BUT to copy machine to machine.  I'm not
entirely sure how I'd go about it.  Probably rzsz and cpio -p...

Actually that's got me thinking now.  I haven't fired up the
Xenix box for well over 2 years.  About time it was given a run.
I feel an experiment coming on.
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...

http://www.courtfld.demon.co.uk/raj/ (demon, and gods, willing...)

Mounting Xenix file system on Linux

Post by Marv Lanc » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Yes, it is an Intel based PC, a 386 to be exact, and running SCOs Xenix 2.3.2.
Personally, I think the Xenix support in Linux is broken. I have received some email to the effect that changes need to be made to the c source code and header
files to make it work.
I think I'll just go the uucp route.