mput, mget different speed ?

Post by Alan Tsa » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 03:57:14

Hi

Would anybody explain why I always get higher speed with mput than mget
when using ftp ?

Regards

mput, mget different speed ?

Post by Andrew R. Tef » Fri, 12 Aug 1994 03:02:45

Quote:

>Would anybody explain why I always get higher speed with mput than mget
>when using ftp ?

ftp lies when it calculates the speed for puts/mputs (at least on my
system it does). This can be seen rather dramatically when you use a
slip or ppp connection and turn on hash marks. The first 30 or so hash marks
fly by in about a second. The transfer then says it's done before the
lights on the modem stop flashing. The total time reported is significantly
less than the real time, thus the calculated rate is faster than it really is.

Try timing the transfer yourself and see if there is a difference.

On my ppp link, there is a small difference (about 100 bytes/sec) which
appears to be due to the uneven mtu settings on the link (512 one
way, 1500 the other way).

---

mput, mget different speed ?

Post by Dan P » Fri, 12 Aug 1994 01:36:11

Quote:>Would anybody explain why I always get higher speed with mput than mget
>when using ftp ?

Are you using a pocket ethernet adapter connected on the parallel port,
by any chance?

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, CN Division

1. ftp (mput, mget) in expect function

I need to ftp mutiple files with file name in the format of file1,
file2, file3 from one box to the other, and the ftp has to be done
inside an expect program.

I have something like this called expect_test:

#!/opt/local/bin/expect -f
spawn rsh machine1
send -- "cd /tmp\r"
send -- "ls *file* | tee /tmp/file_list\r"
send -- "ftp machine2\r"
expect "Password:"
send -- "passwd\r"
expect "ftp> "
send -- "mput `*file*`\r"
send -- "bye\r"
send -- "exit\r"
expect eof

but of couse the "mput *file*" won't work, I was wondering if there is
a relatively painless way for me to do that.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Problem with CxPatch

3. mget / mput = bad director components

4. Problems with audio-routing (internal modem)

5. ftp in expect program (mput, mget)

6. ppp trouble

7. mget/mput problems

8. news: interesting article on redhat going public/investment related

9. Unix ftp commands...mget/mput arguments?

10. mget + mput in quiet mode / no questions ?

11. Speed..Speed..Speed

12. Abit BP6 with processors of different speed

13. Le0 & Hme0 at different speeds.