X Window Manager Freezes System under COL 1.3

X Window Manager Freezes System under COL 1.3

Post by ebbhea » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm having problems while running an X window manager session.
My system hangs while running KDE or fvwm and requires a power
recycle to restart.  I can't switch sessions or connect remotely.
The machine totally locks up.

It's getting really frustrating.  At first I thought it may
have been each time I was running Netscape, but it has been
happening very sporatically.  With apps running or without.
At a minimum I'm running two kvt terms and an xsysinfo window.

I'm running Caldera 1.3 with and upgraded 2.2.5 kernel, XFree86 3.3.2
and an upgraded KDE 1.1.  I also have a S3 Trio64 card.

I've heard suggestions for system overheating to gpm, but haven't
been able to pinpoit the problem.

Other than totally rebuilding the whole machine, I'm not sure
of any options.

Any suggestions?

-ebb

X Window Manager Freezes System under COL 1.3

Post by Gordon Chamberli » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Um, I've never heard that gpm will cause an overheat but I seem
to remember hearing that gpm can cause problems with some X servers.
I can't remember the circumstances... was it from the S3 X server?

Make sure gpm is not running before you start x.  'gpm -k' does a
good job at removing it, but you probably ought to look at the
processes to make sure gpm is no longer running.

 -Gordon

--
  Gordon Chamberlin             Software Architect
  Visualize, Inc.               http://www.visualizetech.com

X Window Manager Freezes System under COL 1.3

Post by ebbhea » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Nope, not running gpm.

And besides the problems with the gramatical errors in my last message,
I'm still having problems with my window manager. ;)  It locked up again
a few minutes ago actually...