HELP: OS/2 boot mgr doesn't boot LINUX

Post by Neil Ricke » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I installed OS/2 boot manager and it boots DOS Windows 3.11
>and Windows 95 (two different partitions), but fails to boot
>Linux.  This is what I did:
>1. I partitioned disk using OS/2 3.0 fdisk and added the
>   Linux root partition to boot manager (so it becomes bootable);
>2. I used the Slackware fdisk to change the id code to Linux
>   native, i.e. 83 and 82 for swap;
>3. Then I installed Linux and configured;
>4. Linux boots from floppy, but not from OS/2 boot manager.

You didn't install 'lilo'.  You need it.

Run /sbin/liloconfig.

    Start a new header.
        When asked the time delay, set it to 0.
        When asked where to install, select the superblock of
         your linux partition.

    Add a linux partition.

    Install.

Note that installing lilo in this way will not interfere with boot
manager, and will not alter the MBR (main boot record).  All it does
is make the linux partition bootable by installing suitable code in
the boot sector.  (It is approximately the equivalent of the dos SYS
command).

Post by Sharon X. Wan » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I installed OS/2 boot manager and it boots DOS Windows 3.11
and Windows 95 (two different partitions), but fails to boot
Linux.  This is what I did:

1. I partitioned disk using OS/2 3.0 fdisk and added the
   Linux root partition to boot manager (so it becomes bootable);
2. I used the Slackware fdisk to change the id code to Linux
   native, i.e. 83 and 82 for swap;
3. Then I installed Linux and configured;
4. Linux boots from floppy, but not from OS/2 boot manager.

Any suggestions?

Sharon

Post by Murray Todd William » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I installed OS/2 boot manager and it boots DOS Windows 3.11
> and Windows 95 (two different partitions), but fails to boot
> Linux.  This is what I did:

> 1. I partitioned disk using OS/2 3.0 fdisk and added the
>    Linux root partition to boot manager (so it becomes bootable);
> 2. I used the Slackware fdisk to change the id code to Linux
>    native, i.e. 83 and 82 for swap;
> 3. Then I installed Linux and configured;
> 4. Linux boots from floppy, but not from OS/2 boot manager.

> Any suggestions?

> Sharon

Something's vague.  When you say Linux doesn't boot from the OS/2
boot manager, does it not even show up on the boot manager menu
or does it show up but not start up when you select it?

If the former, I know it's a bit of a trick to make boot manager
think that Linux's root partition is really FAT or HPFS (thus
setting up the partition first in FDISK before installing Linux.

If you have the time for a re-install, I'd reformat the intended
Linux boot partition, install something like DOS on it and get
everything up with the boot manager so that (temporary) DOS boots
up okay.  THEN go install Linux over that partition (reformatting
the partition as ext2, etc.)

Best of luck.

Murray Todd Williams
Team OS/2

Post by David Ish » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

-> If the former, I know it's a bit of a trick to make boot manager
-> think that Linux's root partition is really FAT or HPFS (thus
-> setting up the partition first in FDISK before installing Linux.
->
-> If you have the time for a re-install, I'd reformat the intended
-> Linux boot partition, install something like DOS on it and get
-> everything up with the boot manager so that (temporary) DOS boots
-> up okay.  THEN go install Linux over that partition (reformatting
-> the partition as ext2, etc.)

I was able to get Linux to boot from boot manager without installing
DOS temporarily. I just formatted it as FAT with OS/2 then Linux
re-formatted the partition as ext2. Just make sure you put lilo on the
superblock of your Linux partition.
--

David

| Mechanical Engineering Senior                                      |
| Mississippi State University             OS/2 and Linux user       |
|                                                                    |
|        "I'd explain it, but there's a lot of math." -- Calvin.     |
|                                                                    |
+------------- http://www2.msstate.edu/~dmi1/index.html -------------+

1. HELP: OS/2 boot mgr doesn't boot LINUX

I installed OS/2 boot manager and it boots DOS Windows 3.11
and Windows 95 (two different partitions), but fails to boot
Linux.  This is what I did:

1. I partitioned disk using OS/2 3.0 fdisk and added the
   Linux root partition to boot manager (so it becomes bootable);
2. I used the Slackware fdisk to change the id code to Linux
   native, i.e. 83 and 82 for swap;
3. Then I installed Linux and configured;
4. Linux boots from floppy, but not from OS/2 boot manager.

Any suggestions?

Sharon

2. Memory usage

3. Can't get rid of the FreeBSD Boot Mgr to get to NT Boot Mgr

4. tape backup

5. Zeros and Ones on boot of linux w/OS/2 boot mgr.

6. Tilde substitution

7. Linux w/ OS/2's Boot Mgr: selected partition not formatted?!

8. Thanks!

9. Linux, LILO, OS/2 Boot Mgr. HELP!!!!!!

10. booting linux from os/2's dual boot

11. linux&OS/2 boot mgr

12. Linux w/ OS/2 Boot Mgr

13. Installing OS/2 and Linux (Boot Mgr vs. LILO)