How to read files from a floppy

Post by William H. Pridge » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I want to copy some files from a floppy disk to linux.
> Linux identifies the disk drive as /dev/fd0.
> The disk is formatted in Dos.

> There are some text files in that floppy.
> How can I transfer those files into my linux machine.

You have to mount the floppy drive like this:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /dev/mnt/floppy

Then cd to /mnt/floppy and copy the files.

--
Bill Pridgen
--

Post by Chris Bro » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I want to copy some files from a floppy disk to linux.
> Linux identifies the disk drive as /dev/fd0.
> The disk is formatted in Dos.

> There are some text files in that floppy.
> How can I transfer those files into my linux machine.

You have to do this as root, first of all..

The command you want to use to mount your floppy is this..

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

Then use cp or mv to copy or move the files.

When you're done, do this..

umount /dev/fd0

And whatever you do, do NOT remove the floppy from the drive before you
umount it.

--
"In chaos and riots, the screech of machines |  This space dedicated to
 No right and no wrong and no in between     |    apocalyptic hamsters.

1. Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

Hi,

I search for a program on Unix, like a windows one called Winimage,
which read files from a floppy image file.

This file is a MS-DOS floppy file.

I think, it's possible with Linux to mount a imaage but I don't know why
?

I work on SUN Solaris and an HP UX, and a program like a 'tar xvf' of
this type og image will be welcome. I search an the internet and I can't
find nothing.
The ultimate goal is to put a seies of floppy on a CDROM, having the
floppy disk image.
I know making all the step except extract files from the images file on
UNIX.

If you have an answer, give an answer to this question by the news group
/ and by mail.

In advance thanks.

Nicolas Clochard

2. Find - a quick question

3. searching scsi floppy driver to read dos floppies for sol 2.4

4. pam_capability 0.0.13 + 2.4.18 kernel patch

5. Q: How to read 3.5'' floppies without floppy drive ?

6. Mail Config on Solaris 2.6

7. jj asks: secondary floppy controller, reading hundreds of floppies

8. HELP! SCSI:0 hosts

9. Reading files off a DOS formatted floppy disk

10. How to read a Mac Floppy Disk or file

11. floppy drives and read-only file systems...

12. reading dos files from floppy disk

13. how to read floppy file