How to change login password character limit and that stuff????

How to change login password character limit and that stuff????

Post by Worlo » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Greetings,

RH5 tells me that I must have a minimum of 6 UNIQUE characters in my
passwd's.  I am using RH5 on an old 486-66 as a temporary FTP server
for a month, and this limitation is killing me.  I know its more
secure but I have my reasons.

Does anyone know where I can change this requirement?

Thanks,

Tom

Post by Jim How » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: Greetings,

: RH5 tells me that I must have a minimum of 6 UNIQUE characters in my
: passwd's.  I am using RH5 on an old 486-66 as a temporary FTP server
: for a month, and this limitation is killing me.  I know its more
: secure but I have my reasons.

: Does anyone know where I can change this requirement?

Many distributions allow root to set any password to anything.  The only
place that the restriction would be built in is the passwd program.

Get the sources and build your own.  It's probably in the util-linux
package.  Easy enough to find at sunsite.

You could also use the crypt() function to generate the hashed password
and hand-edit into /etc/shadow or /etc/passwd yourself, but this is not
the easiest way.

Jim