SWiM Motif compilation and link problems.

SWiM Motif compilation and link problems.

Post by Karl Fenwi » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I have recently purchased Linux FT and SWiM Motif CD's and have been
trying to compile a few Motif applications with no success.

I have managed to get the applications to compile, but get loads of link
problems.

Has anyone used SWiM Motif successfully ? If so could you give me some
suggestions, e.g how you installed it and what command line you use
to compile.

   Hopefully,

    Karl.

:
: I have managed to get the applications to compile, but get loads of link
: problems.
:
: Has anyone used SWiM Motif successfully ? If so could you give me some
: suggestions, e.g how you installed it and what command line you use
: to compile.
:
:    Hopefully,
:
:
:     Karl.

 I have been developing with SWiM Motif for some time now. Just make
sure that LIBRARY_PATH is defined properly in your environment. It wasn't
defined by default on my system. The code would compile just fine, but
but the linker would complain. This may, or may not, be the answer to your
problem.
  If you still can't get it working, email me and I'll try to help.

  -Later
  Michael McNeil

--

- Just say NO to key escrow. - |    is a kludge that won't work."
         When encryption is outlawed, skKSJ %7S Jdk3ie0s.

Post by Charles Ga » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: : I have recently purchased Linux FT and SWiM Motif CD's and have been
: : trying to compile a few Motif applications with no success.
: :
[...]

An earlier poster on this group made the statement to "stay away from"
the SWiM and InfoMagic Motif distributions, but he did not give any
specifics.  I wish people would back up their statements with some facts.

Since you are developing with SWiM Motif (I understand that
this is basically the same as InfoMagic's Moo-Tiff), could you give
your opinion of it?  Is it a complete Motif development system, that is,
are all of the libraries, includes, etc. present?

Thanks,
Charlie

Post by Michael Mc Ne » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: An earlier poster on this group made the statement to "stay away from"
: the SWiM and InfoMagic Motif distributions, but he did not give any
: specifics.  I wish people would back up their statements with some facts.
:
: Since you are developing with SWiM Motif (I understand that
: this is basically the same as InfoMagic's Moo-Tiff), could you give
: your opinion of it?  Is it a complete Motif development system, that is,
: are all of the libraries, includes, etc. present?
:
: Thanks,
: Charlie

:

  SWiM Motif is a complete development system. It comes with all the
libraries, shared and static, all the include files and the UIL compiler.
Any problem's that I have had compiling and linking with SWiM have been
configuration problems on my system and NOT SWiM's fault.
  The SWiM CD that I got came with Motif 2.0 for both X11R5 and X11R6.
All of the Motif libraries came with both ELF and a.out format. (This
was one of the reason's that I got SWiM. I wanted to be able to upgrade
to ELF format later and not have to buy an ELF version of Motif.)
  The CD also comes with a live directory which, I guess, will let you
mount them from your hard drive. As I haven't done this, I can't speak
as to the effectiveness.
  SWiM also comes with tons of Motif documentation on the CD.

  On a bad note, SWiM's Install script was broken. Running the standard
Install script off of the CD-ROM would crash like clock work when it
came time to compile the Motif Window Manager. (It already comes with
a mwm binary. I'm not really sure why they would want to recompile it.)
  I had to copy all of the zipped tar files and the Install script into
/var/tmp and fixed the Install script by hand to get it work correctly.
That is my only real complaint agains SWiM. I have had no problems
developing Motif code with it, or any problems since for that matter.
  If you desire to see a SWiM Motif binary, I just recently released
xusermgr for Linux. It's a statically linked SWiM Motif binary that
let's you manage User accounts. xusermgr is available on Sunsite
and on clark.net in /pub/kludge/linux. (Warning: it's 2MB!)
Comes with source.

  (Note: I have NO connection to the SWiM people or Lasermoon et al.
   This is just one person's experience. Your mileage may vary.)