Repercussions of Netscape sell-out?

Post by Ross Vandegrif » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have yet to hear anything about Netscape's selling out to AOL, and how
it will affect the recent surge in OpenSource development.  Will Mozilla
remain OpenSource?
--
Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

"Man, I've been working in a retirement home WAY too long."
        --Todd Presson

Post by Richard Kaszet » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I have yet to hear anything about Netscape's selling out to AOL, and how
> it will affect the recent surge in OpenSource development.  Will Mozilla
> remain OpenSource?

According to TechWeb, the merger isn't supposed to affect Mozilla
development:

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19981124S0002

--
Richard W Kaszeta                       Graduate Student/Sysadmin

http://www.menet.umn.edu/~kaszeta

Repercussions of Netscape sell-out?

Post by Terence Haddoc » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

According to Mozilla (www.mozilla.org), they will remain open source
(how can they not?) and will continue to develop. However, the question
will be, will AOL support the open source initiative? I don't think they
will go as far as releasing an open source version of AOL itself, but I
hope they continue open source browser development.

If they continue development of Netscape's products, one thing that they
may do is release a version of AOL for Linux! This may be good news or
bad news for Linux lovers everywhere...

I personally think it is time for a real open source internet browser,
(something like KDE's internet browser but more powerful?). Something
released under GPL-type license would be best, but then we couldn't
build onto mozilla. And let's stick to the standards, please... If this
were to work out, then we could care less about
Netscape/Mozilla/Microsoft IE.

----
Terence C. Haddock

Post by Bob Tenne » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

 >I have yet to hear anything about Netscape's selling out to AOL, and how
 >it will affect the recent surge in OpenSource development.  Will Mozilla
 >remain OpenSource?

Check out the comments of Jamie Zawinski of Mozilla at

http://www.linuxtoday.com/stories/1115.html

The bottom line is that the browser is open-source to stay, but
AOL/Sun/Netscape might re-evaluate how much to support the development.

Bob T.

Repercussions of Netscape sell-out?

Post by Christopher Brow » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 15:38:33 -0500, Terence Haddock

>According to Mozilla (www.mozilla.org), they will remain open source
>(how can they not?) and will continue to develop. However, the question
>will be, will AOL support the open source initiative? I don't think they
>will go as far as releasing an open source version of AOL itself, but I
>hope they continue open source browser development.

The prime question that I would expect AOL to ask themselves would be to
what extent they care to be supportive of non-Windows platforms.  They
haven't been in the UNIX business thus far; it is not obvious that they
have an interest in joining now...

Quote:>If they continue development of Netscape's products, one thing that they
>may do is release a version of AOL for Linux! This may be good news or
>bad news for Linux lovers everywhere...

:-).

Quote:>I personally think it is time for a real open source internet browser,
>(something like KDE's internet browser but more powerful?). Something
>released under GPL-type license would be best, but then we couldn't
>build onto mozilla. And let's stick to the standards, please... If this
>were to work out, then we could care less about
>Netscape/Mozilla/Microsoft IE.

Obviously, nothing prevents people from continuing to hack on the
Mozilla sources.

And should Mozilla become less accessible, this might return some
interest to such efforts as Amaya, Mnemonic, and Arena, for which
attention has largely languished since the March "freeing" of Mozilla.

Note that there *has* been effort on components that could be useful
for construction of a "really-free-web-browser" (about whose licensing
I shall remain agnostic...), what with the establishment of:
- XML parsers,
- A free ECMAScript interpreter,
- DOM implementations,
- Lots of Java stuff...

Many of the pieces needed may already exist.

And there's obviously a feasible design in the form of what we know of
Mozilla to emulate even if the direct use of code is impractical...

--
There are no "civil aviation for dummies" books out there and most of
you would probably be scared and spend a lot of your time looking up

Repercussions of Netscape sell-out?

Post by Mark Anda » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

This is what my *-theorist mind came up  with.

1) AOL decides to go with IE after they take over Netscape. They still
haven't decided to give up IE (their contract comes up for renegotiation in
January).

2) MS buys AOL.

3) Even without MS buying AOL, Netscape the product becomes proprietary.
    OSS people decide to continue on they have to go with mozilla code.

4) Since joe sixpack is more familiar with the name Netscape over mozilla
Netscape mindshare dies.

5) The browser code forks under a new name.

I know this smells of FUD.  I know it is doom saying.
It probably has a ton of holes in it.

But someone please take the time to answer it seriously and show me why it
can't happen.

My $0.02

Mark Andal

--
Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email
WILL be charged a $100 proof-reading fee. See US Code Title 47,

Post by Dillon Pyr » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> This is what my *-theorist mind came up  with.

> 1) AOL decides to go with IE after they take over Netscape. They still
> haven't decided to give up IE (their contract comes up for renegotiation in
> January).

I think AOL has already said they are staying with IE "for the foreseeable
future".

Quote:

> 2) MS buys AOL.

Not unrealistic, but not likely.

Quote:

> 3) Even without MS buying AOL, Netscape the product becomes proprietary.
>     OSS people decide to continue on they have to go with mozilla code.

AOL didn't buy Netscape for the browser.  They bought Netscape inspite of the
browser.

Quote:

> 4) Since joe sixpack is more familiar with the name Netscape over mozilla
> Netscape mindshare dies.

Netscape lost market share because a user had to actively seek it out, instead of
just booting up the machine.

Quote:

> 5) The browser code forks under a new name.

I'll bet that I could buy the Communicator and Navigator names from AOL for a
six-pack of Shiner Bock.  Okay, a case.

Quote:

> I know this smells of FUD.  I know it is doom saying.
> It probably has a ton of holes in it.

Just because you're paranoid, ...

> But someone please take the time to answer it seriously and show me why it
> can't happen.

> My $0.02

> Mark Andal

> > I have yet to hear anything about Netscape's selling out to AOL, and how
> > it will affect the recent surge in OpenSource development.  Will Mozilla
> > remain OpenSource?
> > --
> > Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

> > "Man, I've been working in a retirement home WAY too long."
> >         --Todd Presson

> --
> Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email
> WILL be charged a $100 proof-reading fee. See US Code Title 47,
> Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C) and Sec.227(b)(3)(C).
> http://www.veryComputer.com/(To look it up)

--
dillon pyron

No rain, no rainbows

Repercussions of Netscape sell-out?

Post by Ross Vandegrif » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> The prime question that I would expect AOL to ask themselves would be to
> what extent they care to be supportive of non-Windows platforms.  They
> haven't been in the UNIX business thus far; it is not obvious that they
> have an interest in joining now...

What's really funny on this point, is that AOL renewed their MSIE
contract a week before they bought Netscape.  An article in the paper
said that they planned to completely redesign their service to be
NS-centric.

Quote:> >I personally think it is time for a real open source internet browser,
> >(something like KDE's internet browser but more powerful?). Something
> >released under GPL-type license would be best, but then we couldn't
> >build onto mozilla. And let's stick to the standards, please... If this
> >were to work out, then we could care less about
> >Netscape/Mozilla/Microsoft IE.

> Obviously, nothing prevents people from continuing to hack on the
> Mozilla sources.

Yea, Mozilla is about as OpenSource as it gets (being that the NPL is so
close to the GPL).  Why wouldn't people continue on it?  I built Mozilla
5 right before they announced the rewrite and NGLayout.  It worked.

Quote:> Note that there *has* been effort on components that could be useful
> for construction of a "really-free-web-browser" (about whose licensing
> I shall remain agnostic...), what with the establishment of:
> - XML parsers,
> - A free ECMAScript interpreter,
> - DOM implementations,
> - Lots of Java stuff...

And the NGLayout engine could tie all that stuff together.
--
Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

"Man, I've been working in a retirement home WAY too long."
        --Todd Presson

Repercussions of Netscape sell-out?

Post by Warren Man » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I don't know about OpenSource development, but I heard that development of
Mozilla will be turned over to Sun.

> I have yet to hear anything about Netscape's selling out to AOL, and how
> it will affect the recent surge in OpenSource development.  Will Mozilla
> remain OpenSource?
> --
> Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

> "Man, I've been working in a retirement home WAY too long."
>         --Todd Presson

Repercussions of Netscape sell-out?

Post by david parso » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have yet to hear anything about Netscape's selling out to AOL, and how
>it will affect the recent surge in OpenSource development.  Will Mozilla
>remain OpenSource?

    Unless there's a sunset clause in the NPL, Mozilla will remain
    freely distributable and source available.  And if you have a
    copy, it won't even matter if AOL goes paranoid and yanks all
    support for Mozilla.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ Of course that would probably result in half
                   \/    of the former Netscape's development staff
                         hastily bailing out, which is probably not
                              what Steve Case paid US$4 billion for.

1. Netscape time-outs

I have a search cgi script that seems to "time-out" if the search takes
a long time (a few minutes), returning "Document contains no data".

Is there a Netscape server parameter for time-outs?

I'm sure there a pretty routine answer to this so thanks for your reply
in advance.  You saved me some time.

------------------------

Biocomputing, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine
New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016

2. awk vs. nawk

3. MS-DOJ: Analysis of a Sell-Out

4. Abuse and the mouse from the console

5. How to Sell-out Linux

6. AfterStep and libXext.so

7. VMware sell-out to Microsoft???

8. Partitioning problems

9. To sell (software) or not to sell?

10. Is Sun selling/supporting Netscape Navigator?

11. Netscape selling Linux ???

12. Why does Netscape not sell Linux bundled with their product??