gateway anykey keyboard

Post by Justin L. Gaith » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the gateway 124 anykey keyboard,
I am looking for a keyboard with the same layout as a sun keyboard to connect
to my intel linux box.  Also, I was wondering how well the anykey keyboard works
with Linux.

gateway anykey keyboard

Post by bill pembert » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the gateway 124 anykey keyboard,
>I am looking for a keyboard with the same layout as a sun keyboard to connect
>to my intel linux box.  Also, I was wondering how well the anykey keyboard
>works with Linux.

only major problem i had was not being able to change the keyboard typamatic
rate.  i think the gateway anykey was cited as an absolute exception to the
kbdrate function.  my man page could be out of date wrt this.  it wasn't a
bad keyboard but i have decided i really want a mechanical switch keyboard.
can anyone make recommendations on that?

--

searching for "macarena" in japanese.

gateway anykey keyboard

Post by Chaim Frenk » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

No problems with the keyboard on my machine.  On my Anykey keyboard is
a `Repeat Rate' key.  Pressing that and then the F8 key gives me plenty
of repeat.

<chaim>

: >I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the gateway 124 anykey keyboard,
: >I am looking for a keyboard with the same layout as a sun keyboard to connect
: >to my intel linux box.  Also, I was wondering how well the anykey keyboard
: >works with Linux.
: >

: >
:
: only major problem i had was not being able to change the keyboard typamatic
: rate.  i think the gateway anykey was cited as an absolute exception to the
: kbdrate function.  my man page could be out of date wrt this.  it wasn't a
: bad keyboard but i have decided i really want a mechanical switch keyboard.
: can anyone make recommendations on that?

gateway anykey keyboard

Post by Victor A. Grinber » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> only major problem i had was not being able to change the keyboard typamatic
> rate.  i think the gateway anykey was cited as an absolute exception to the
> kbdrate function.  my man page could be out of date wrt this.  it wasn't a

The Anykey has this special "rate" key that lets you set the rate
manually -- push "rate", then push one of F1 thru F8. The problem you
describe is due to the fact that the standard, programmatic, key rate
control on Anykey is screwed up. Not that it should be too much of a
nuisance, because the manual contrl works. I used to have Anykey on my
computer at work, and I really hated it -- the layout is different from
the standard, and that really *is* a nuisance for me.

I don't have a picture here, but this is what I remember:

* There are two clusters of F keys, 12 up top, as on the standard 101
key keyboard, and an additional cluster on the left like on the old XT
keyboards. I don't remember if the XT-style cluster replicates all 12,
or just 10 of the F keys.

* The usual "inverted T" arrow key cluster is replaced with a 9-key
cluster -- 4 additional "diaogonal" arrows, and a stupid useless key in
the middle.

* There are 4 special keys, in the top right corner, that are used to
manually remap the keys on the keyboard, assign macros to keys, and
change repeat rate.

Hope this helps. I don't think there are any other differences.

The macro capability allows to program any key with any sequence of
codes, which may come in handy if you, say, need 20 F keys, and have
some time to F... with it:) I don't think any of the Sun keyoards I seen
match Anykey layout any better than the standard PC layout; though X
consortium type 5 also has a cluster of function keys on the left, I
think. Besides, newer Gateways come with standard keyboards, I think
they dumped Anykey.
 -vg

1. Gateway AnyKey keyboard problem

Hello,

 I have a question about the Gateway AnyKey keyboard. I'm using one on my
system, and have been for quite some time.

 If I'm logged in on one of the VC's, and in VI (this is where I first noticed
the problem) and want to exit, I hold down the left shift key and press the
letter 'z' twice (shift-z-z). The first 'z'is upper cased, but the second one
is not, which makes vi unhappy (i.e. I get Zz instead of ZZ). If I use the
right shift key, then I get two upper case z's.

 If I'm in an xterm window, then the left side shift key behaves normally. If
I'm running DOS, then the shift keys work properly. If I'm running OS/2 then
the shift keys work properly. It's only when I'm on a Virtual Console that
I have this problem.

 Even if I'm not in VI it does this on a VC. If I hold down the left shift key
and then the 'z', then I get: Zzzzzzzzzz. If I hold down the right shift key
and then the 'z', then I get: ZZZZZZZZZZ. To make this even weirder, the 'z' is
the only key that is affedted in this way!

 Anyone else having this problem, or know how to fix it. For what it's worth,
the rest of my system IS NOT a Gateway system. I've upgraded my motherboard
since this problem first started and this weird behavior is still present, so
it's not the motherboard (or if it is then I have the same problem on both of
them which I find extremly unlikely...)

 Suggestions?  (other than don't use a Gateway keyboard. :^) )

Monte Freeman  --  Operations Department / Information Technology

2. Help on installing print services (lpd, lpr, ...)

3. xkeycaps definition for Gateway Anykey Keyboard

4. Linux as router for Win95 WWW server

5. Gateway 2000 124+ AnyKey Keyboard and numeric '+' in X

6. bpp 16/24 for WD90C31

7. Gateway 2000 AnyKey keyboard and Linux

8. HotJava 3, RH6, and JDK116 install

9. Anykey keyboard missing keypresses

10. Keytable Map for Anykey Keyboard

11. AnyKey keyboard problem

12. The Great gateway Train or how to gateway behind the gateway

13. anykey and olvwm