Using SLIP?

Post by J. Stephen » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I'm using Yggdrasil Linux, and I've set up everything in the Serial
Internet Connection Control Panel, and it tells me to type dip
/etc/connection.dip and I do, but it says "unknown server error" (I think
that's it, if not it's pretty close to that). Anyone know what might be
wrong?

Using SLIP?

Post by David Seyst » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm using Yggdrasil Linux, and I've set up everything in the Serial
>Internet Connection Control Panel, and it tells me to type dip
>/etc/connection.dip and I do, but it says "unknown server error" (I think
>that's it, if not it's pretty close to that). Anyone know what might be
>wrong?

Try substituting XXXXX.dip ( your own script for DIP ) for /etc/connection.dip.

--
David K. Seyster

Slackware (2.3) and others

Using SLIP?

Post by To » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>"unknown server error"

I solved this on my box so long ago that I've forgotten the exact procedure
(plus I'm in DOS/Windwoes, so I can't look for the answers).  But, I'm
thinking that /etc/hosts is not set, or /etc/HOSTNAME is not set, or something
along those lines.

There may be more help in the dip docs (/usr/docs/dip ?).

1. Using SLIP/PPP over Async Analog Leased LInes, How?

Since I am finding that my dialup SLIP connection is somewhat
unreliable, and since I can't afford the costs of a 56K digital line
and the few thousand dollars' worth of equipment needed with it, I am
seriously considering installing a voice-grade analog leased line to
my Internet service provider with V.Fast modems on either end and
running SLIP or PPP.

I have been running dialup SLIP with Linux using DIP to make the
connection for about 8 months now, and it has been running well.
However it's not clear to me how (or even if) to configure DIP to work
on leased lines.

I'm sure I could figure it out sooner rather than later, _after_ I get
the line installed, but would rather have a real clear idea in my mind
how to go about this _before_ I spend the $800 to have the line put
in, and even before I spend the $500 for the modems.

I have checked the documentation I have, and have grepped on several
keywords on a few weeks of past c.o.l.h, but if this is an RTFM type
question, feel free to flame me ... but please also direct me to the
proper TFM to R.

Please respond either here in the newsgroup or to

Thanks in advance ...

 . . . . . ep

2. Linux installation - Reboots without warning

3. route command fails when using slip

4. Debian 2.2 and XFree86 4.0.2

5. Connect Mac and Linux using SLIP?

6. Bufsize enlarging

7. using slip, remote news server refuses my connection requests

8. Specifying the outgoing interface

9. Using slip as a module -- what must be different

10. HELP: Mosaic using SLIP..

11. local network using SLIP

12. Using SLIP to provide IP to two machines

13. using slip in seyon