Using DVD RW drive for backup

Post by Matrix Nin » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 21:53:42

Is now a good time to buy a DVD RW drive? I am looking to buy
something to use to backup my hard drives. I know that traditionally
this is what tape is for but what about DVD RW technology? I'm looking
to spend under $1,000 for a drive. Just wanted to know which one to
get.

Prince is not an issue as long as it's under $1,000. I am not
interested in waiting for prices to go down. The question is whether
or not the current drives are suitable for backup purposes.

Post by David Michael » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:44:16

> Is now a good time to buy a DVD RW drive? I am looking to buy
> something to use to backup my hard drives. I know that traditionally
> this is what tape is for but what about DVD RW technology? I'm looking
> to spend under $1,000 for a drive. Just wanted to know which one to
> get.

You might check the software you intend to use for compatability.
Are usb, parallel port, fire wire, atapi all supportted by the dvd
software as well as the kernel you are useing.

Quote:

> Prince is not an issue as long as it's under $1,000. I am not
> interested in waiting for prices to go down.

The initial cost of $1,000 isn't what people are affraid of... The media
is the expensive part.

Quote:> The question is whether
> or not the current drives are suitable for backup purposes.

Most stores have a return policy-

Is there a LDP faq/howto on this?

1. Using DVD RW drive for backup

Is now a good time to buy a DVD RW drive? I am looking to buy something to
use to backup my hard drives. I know that traditionally this is what tape is
for but what about DVD RW technology? I'm looking to spend under $1,000 for
a drive. Just wanted to know which one to get.

Prince is not an issue as long as it's under $1,000. I am not interested in
waiting for prices to go down. The question is whether or not the current
drives are suitable for backup purposes.

2. mfs give errors

3. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

4. aarghhh! Still crashing...

5. Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive problems

6. How do you control a synth with a soundcard?

7. DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's

8. software to read microsoft mail on unix

9. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

10. dvd+rw backup software

11. CD-RW or DVD(+-)RW?

12. DVD-RW/CD-ROM-RW

13. DVD RAMs or DVD RW are there any?