Forcing users off the system after a certain period of inactivity

Post by Tobias Vancur » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi there,
> I was wondering if anyone knew if there was some way of automatically
> logging users off from a linux server after a certain period of inactivity.
> ATM, I've got users on my system, who never seem to log off, leaving the
> client machine open for anyone to tinker with.  Hardly secure, is it ?
> Oh, the linux server in question is running Slackware 3.2.
> Hope you can help.
> --Paul

Try the autolog package, available at sunsite.

Solid State Physics
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich
Switzerland

Post by Eugene Blanchar » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi there,

> > I was wondering if anyone knew if there was some way of automatically
> > logging users off from a linux server after a certain period of inactivity.

> > ATM, I've got users on my system, who never seem to log off, leaving the
> > client machine open for anyone to tinker with.  Hardly secure, is it ?

> > Oh, the linux server in question is running Slackware 3.2.

> > Hope you can help.

> > --Paul

> Try the autolog package, available at sunsite.

> --

I used the idled package. It worked quite well. I did have some problems
installing the package. The Makefile stalled and I had to do some of the
install manually.

1. Forcing users off the systen after a period of inactivity

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was some way of automatically
logging users off from a linux server after a certain period of inactivity.

ATM, I've got users on my system, who never seem to log off, leaving the
client machine open for anyone to tinker with.  Hardly secure, is it ?

Oh, the linux server in question is running Slackware 3.2.

Hope you can help.

--Paul

2. Bleeping GNU Linux

3. USB Zip 250 Drive

4. How to automatically disconnect a user after a period of inactivity?

5. BOOT PROBLEM

6. HELP: How to detect a user inactivity for certain software in X Windows

7. xwindows 4.1 on an ibm 350 p-100

8. How do you make SCO unix knock a user off after 20 minutes of inactivity?

9. How to force user to type certain # chars?

10. Rogers@Home connection drops after short period of inactivity

11. How do I lock Screen after period of inactivity (xset?)

12. How to make xlock run after period of inactivity?