problem to browse the LAN with konqueror :-((

problem to browse the LAN with konqueror :-((

Post by Bern » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 19:30:50

Hi,
i have just installed SUSE 7.2 on a Toshiba Satellite 4900 xcdt. Nearly
everything works fine (printing, Internet, applications) and i can access
the shares on SUSE from the windows-client (via Samba 2.2). But the only
thing i can see when i use the konquerer on the LINUX-Box to "look" into the
LAN is the message "cannot contact the machine localhost.".

LAN-config is this:

Host:         141.2.101.46/255.255.255.0    paed6pc
Gatew:      141.2.101.254
DNS:        behind the Gateway

I can ping the windows-client, "localhost", loopback, the gateway an
internet-hosts. So why is it *not* possible to browse the LAN using the
konquereor?

Thanks, Bernd

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 05:12:09

> Hi,
> i have just installed SUSE 7.2 on a Toshiba Satellite 4900 xcdt.
> Nearly everything works fine (printing, Internet, applications) and i
> can access the shares on SUSE from the windows-client (via Samba 2.2).
> But the only thing i can see when i use the konquerer on the LINUX-Box
> to "look" into the LAN is the message "cannot contact the machine
> localhost.".

> LAN-config is this:

> Host:         141.2.101.46/255.255.255.0    paed6pc
> Gatew:      141.2.101.254
> DNS:        behind the Gateway

> I can ping the windows-client, "localhost", loopback, the gateway an
> internet-hosts. So why is it *not* possible to browse the LAN using
> the konquereor?

> Thanks, Bernd

The URL to use is: smb://host_name/share.  The only Windows box on my
home network is called "mike" and I can access his system with the
konqueror URL  smb://mike/c

Now, you either have to have a nameserver which resolves "host_name" or
that name and IP address have to be placed into /etc/hosts.